|By Marketwired .||
|July 22, 2014 09:04 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/22/14 --
- "Application Intelligence" - Significant Platform and Category Expansion Beyond Application Performance Management (APM)
- Company Continues Hyper-Growth Worldwide With Triple Digit Annual Growth
AppDynamics, the leader in Application Intelligence, today announced it has secured $120 million in growth financing led by new investors Battery Ventures, ClearBridge Investments and Sands Capital. All four existing investors Greylock Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and Institutional Venture Partners, also participated in the round. The $120 million includes $50 million in debt financing provided by Silicon Valley Bank.
The new financing brings the total capital raised by AppDynamics to over $200 million and will fund the company's continued expansion of its Application Intelligence Platform into the IT Operations and Business Analytics markets, and also accelerate go-to-market investments worldwide.
"Application Intelligence is rapidly becoming the foundational management platform for modern enterprises that are going through a digital transformation. It has the opportunity to reshape not only the $4 to $5 billion per year Application Performance Management market, but the broader $20 billion per year IT Operations Management(1) and $34 billion per year Operations and Business Analytics markets(2)," said Jyoti Bansal, founder and CEO at AppDynamics. "This additional financing is great validation of the market category, our strong execution in leading the category and above all the quality of the AppDynamics team across all functions. This financing will help fuel our continued rapid pace of technology innovation, and expansion of our worldwide sales and go-to-market execution."
"Given the massive, secular shifts in today's technology markets toward cloud, mobile and service-oriented apps, I think AppDynamics has a great opportunity to own the next generation of Operations and Application Management," said Neeraj Agrawal, a general partner at Battery Ventures. "I have known Jyoti for years, and during that time he has shown great vision and consistently exceeded his business goals. Battery is extremely excited to partner with AppDynamics."
AppDynamics Market and Vision:
- "Software is Eating the World": Modern enterprises are going through a huge digital transformation from Systems-of-Record to Systems-of-Engagement -- where software applications not only support the back-office of the enterprise, but are forming the core of customer engagement. Software applications are allowing enterprises to completely optimize their consumer interactions and innovate on consumer experience at a level never seen before.
- The architectural shift to Cloud, Mobile and DevOps: To enable this rapid digital transformation, technology architectures are going through a generational shift to Cloud Computing, Mobile and broad adoption of agile and DevOps operational practices. The older technology architectures and vendors supplying solutions for these architectures are rapidly becoming obsolete.
- Market shift away from legacy vendors: Legacy vendors in the $20 billion per year IT Operations Management space like CA Technologies, HP, BMC, Compuware have not been able to innovate as IT applications shift to a new architecture and enterprises go through their digital transformation. Newer companies such as AppDynamics are leading the charge and have emerged as rapidly growing category leaders.
- The emergence of a new category "Application Intelligence": The new approach to managing IT is "application-centric" instead of "infrastructure-centric." All aspects of the IT Operations Management market are being redefined by applications, user experience and the business transactions they support. AppDynamics is leading the emergence of the new market category "Application Intelligence" where the core mission is to provide an integrated platform for Developers, Operations and the Business to maximize business performance delivered by software application investments. This encompasses performance monitoring, user experience monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, deployment automation, automatic remediation, and operational analytics, combined with seamless business intelligence to tie IT with Business.
- Disruption in Go-to-market models: The legacy go-to-market model of complex, slow to configure and deploy software with heavy Professional Services requirements is no longer fit for purpose. The new enterprise consumers are demanding easy-to-use products, try-before-you-buy and pay-as-you-go. AppDynamics unique go-to-market strategy of providing hybrid SaaS/on-premise deployments, easy to deploy freemium offerings, and a land-and-expand sales model is aligned with the new buying patterns in the enterprise.
AppDynamics Execution Highlights:
- Rapid growth: AppDynamics is one of the fastest-growing technology companies worldwide. The company grew more than 175 percent in its fiscal year 2014, which concluded on January 31, 2014. It currently has over 1,300 customers and has doubled its customer base every year for the last three years. Customers include some of the largest banks, largest retail companies and the largest SaaS providers globally. In the last 18 months the number of employees grew from 200 to over 450 based in over 12 countries including the US, UK, France, Germany, India, Japan, Australia and Singapore.
- Market leader recognition: In Gartner Inc.'s latest "Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Management" report, AppDynamics has been positioned in the Leader's quadrant for the second year in a row. For a complimentary copy of the report, visit www.appdynamics.com/gartner.
- Exceptional Customer Success & Loyalty: The company's latest Net Promoter Score (a single measure of customer loyalty) is at a world class 85, demonstrating the long-term nature of our customer relationships. The company's NPS is among the highest in the enterprise software industry.
- Great Place to Work: AppDynamics is widely recognized for its innovative and employee-friendly culture. In 2013, Forbes recognized AppDynamics as the best Cloud Computing Company to work for, and it's CEO Jyoti Bansalas the number one Cloud Computing CEO to work for. In 2014, AppDynamics was recognized by Glassdoor as one of the Best Medium-Sized Companies to Work For in its Employee's Choice Awards. In May 2014, its CEO Jyoti Bansalwas recognized as Best CEO in San Francisco Business Times Tech & Innovation Awards and named a finalist in the prestigious EY Entrepreneur of the Year awards.
- Rapid Innovation: With its latest platform release in March 2014, the company's Application Intelligence Platform provides the broadest and deepest visibility and management of software applications leveraging JAVA, .Net, node.js, PHP, NoSQL, SQL, Native Mobile and browser-based apps, NetApp Storage, IBM DataPower, Tibco, MongoDB and through its open platform APIs over 100 critical enterprise technologies such as Microsoft Azure, AWS, Pivotal, F5 and Hadoop. AppDynamics, unique among its competitors, offers SaaS, on-premise and private cloud deployment alternatives to its customers. These are available in a fully self-service try-and-buy freemium 'free-forever' edition or commercial Pro Edition.
- Platform Expansion: In March, AppDynamics announced beta availability of its analytics solution, 'Application Analytics.' This builds on the company's already market-leading Operational Analytics and Real-Time Business Metrics solution. General availability of 'Application Analytics' is targeted for later in 2014.
At AppDynamics, our Application Intelligence Platform helps today's software-defined businesses proactively monitor, manage and optimize the most complex software environments. All in real time, and all in production. With cloud and on-premise deployment flexibility, AppDynamics works and partners with many of the world's most innovative companies. Customers include Citrix, Edmunds, Expedia, Fox News, John Deere, OpenTable, Salesforce.com, Sephora, StubHub and Union Pacific Railroad. AppDynamics premier event for today's software-defined business AppSphere 2014, takes place November 3-5 in Las Vegas. For more information, visit www.appdynamics.com.
(1) Gartner, Market Share Analysis: IT Operations Management Software, Worldwide, 2013, Laurie F. Wurster, Federico De Silva, John Rizzuto, Matthew Cheung, David M. Coyle and Ronni J. Colville, May 30, 2014
(2) IDC, Worldwide Business Analytics Software 2013-2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares (IDC #241689), Dan Vesset, Brian McDonough, David Schubmehl and Mary Wardley, June 2013
When I talk about driving innovation with self-organizing teams, I emphasize that such self-organization includes expecting the participants to organize their own teams, give themselves their own goals, and determine for themselves how to measure their success. In contrast, the definition of skunkworks points out that members of such teams are “usually specially selected.” Good thing he added the word usually – because specially selecting such teams throws a wrench in the entire works, limiting...
May. 25, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,457
As AT&Ts VP of Domain 2.0 architecture writes one aspect of their Domain 2.0 strategy is a goal to embrace a Microservices Application Architecture. One page 9 they describe how these envisage them fitting into the ECOMP architecture: "The initial steps of the recipes include a homing and placement task using constraints specified in the requests. ‘Homing and Placement' are micro-services involving orchestration, inventory, and controllers responsible for infrastructure, network, and applicati...
May. 25, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,588
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 985
Application development and delivery methods have undergone radical changes in recent years to improve scalability and resiliency. Container images are the new build and deployment artifacts that are used to ship and run software. While startups have long been comfortable experimenting with and embracing new technologies, even large enterprises are now re-architecting their software systems so that they can benefit from container-enabled micro services architectures. With the launch of DC/OS, w...
May. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,327
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,034
Earlier this week, we hosted a Continuous Discussion (#c9d9) on Continuous Delivery (CD) automation and orchestration, featuring expert panelists Dondee Tan, Test Architect at Alaska Air, Taco Bakker, a LEAN Six Sigma black belt focusing on CD, and our own Sam Fell and Anders Wallgren. During this episode, we discussed the differences between CD automation and orchestration, their challenges with setting up CD pipelines and some of the common chokepoints, as well as some best practices and tips...
May. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,255
Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) will feature the upcoming 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in a New York news documentary about the "New IT for the Future." The documentary will cover how big companies are transmitting or adopting the new IT for the future and will be filmed on the expo floor between June 7-June 9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. KBS has long been a leader in the development of the broadcasting culture of Korea. As the key public service broadcaster of Korea...
May. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,693
Automation is a critical component of DevOps and Continuous Delivery. This morning on #c9d9 we discussed CD Automation and how you can apply Automation to accelerate release cycles, improve quality, safety and governance? What is the difference between Automation and Orchestration? Where should you begin your journey to introduce both?
May. 25, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,267
While there has been much ado about interoperability, there are still no real solutions, same as last year and the year before that. The large EHR vendors who continue to dominate the market still maintain that interoperability is all but solved, still can't connect EHRs across the continuum causing frustration by providers and a disservice to patients. The ONC pays lip service to the problem, but that is about it. It is time for the healthcare industry to consider alternatives like middleware w...
May. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,473
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 24, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,661
Our CTO, Anders Wallgren, recently sat down to take part in the “B2B Nation: IT” podcast — the series dedicated to serving the IT professional community with expert opinions and advice on the world of information technology. Listen to the great conversation, where Anders shares his thoughts on DevOps lessons from large enterprises, the growth of microservices and containers, and more.
May. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,450
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,855
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,689
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,860
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,072
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City, and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world.
May. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,263
Just last week a senior Hybris consultant shared the story of a customer engagement on which he was working. This customer had problems, serious problems. We’re talking about response times far beyond the most liberal acceptable standard. They were unable to solve the issue in their eCommerce platform – specifically Hybris. Although the eCommerce project was delivered by a system integrator / implementation partner, the vendor still gets involved when things go really wrong. After all, the vendo...
May. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,343
Small teams are more effective. The general agreement is that anything from 5 to 12 is the 'right' small. But of course small teams will also have 'small' throughput - relatively speaking. So if your demand is X and the throughput of a small team is X/10, you probably need 10 teams to meet that demand. But more teams also mean more effort to coordinate and align their efforts in the same direction. So, the challenge is how to harness the power of small teams and yet orchestrate multiples of them...
May. 24, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,820
SYS-CON Events announced today the Docker Meets Kubernetes – Intro into the Kubernetes World, being held June 9, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Register for 'Docker Meets Kubernetes Workshop' Here! This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, introduces participants to Kubernetes (container orchestration). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, participants learn ...
May. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,807
The initial debate is over: Any enterprise with a serious commitment to IT is migrating to the cloud. But things are not so simple. There is a complex mix of on-premises, colocated, and public-cloud deployments. In this power panel at 18th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the present state of cloud from the C-level view, and how great companies and rock star executives can use cloud computing to meet their most ambitious and disruptive business ...
May. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,993