|By Marketwired .||
|July 22, 2014 09:04 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/22/14 --
- "Application Intelligence" - Significant Platform and Category Expansion Beyond Application Performance Management (APM)
- Company Continues Hyper-Growth Worldwide With Triple Digit Annual Growth
AppDynamics, the leader in Application Intelligence, today announced it has secured $120 million in growth financing led by new investors Battery Ventures, ClearBridge Investments and Sands Capital. All four existing investors Greylock Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and Institutional Venture Partners, also participated in the round. The $120 million includes $50 million in debt financing provided by Silicon Valley Bank.
The new financing brings the total capital raised by AppDynamics to over $200 million and will fund the company's continued expansion of its Application Intelligence Platform into the IT Operations and Business Analytics markets, and also accelerate go-to-market investments worldwide.
"Application Intelligence is rapidly becoming the foundational management platform for modern enterprises that are going through a digital transformation. It has the opportunity to reshape not only the $4 to $5 billion per year Application Performance Management market, but the broader $20 billion per year IT Operations Management(1) and $34 billion per year Operations and Business Analytics markets(2)," said Jyoti Bansal, founder and CEO at AppDynamics. "This additional financing is great validation of the market category, our strong execution in leading the category and above all the quality of the AppDynamics team across all functions. This financing will help fuel our continued rapid pace of technology innovation, and expansion of our worldwide sales and go-to-market execution."
"Given the massive, secular shifts in today's technology markets toward cloud, mobile and service-oriented apps, I think AppDynamics has a great opportunity to own the next generation of Operations and Application Management," said Neeraj Agrawal, a general partner at Battery Ventures. "I have known Jyoti for years, and during that time he has shown great vision and consistently exceeded his business goals. Battery is extremely excited to partner with AppDynamics."
AppDynamics Market and Vision:
- "Software is Eating the World": Modern enterprises are going through a huge digital transformation from Systems-of-Record to Systems-of-Engagement -- where software applications not only support the back-office of the enterprise, but are forming the core of customer engagement. Software applications are allowing enterprises to completely optimize their consumer interactions and innovate on consumer experience at a level never seen before.
- The architectural shift to Cloud, Mobile and DevOps: To enable this rapid digital transformation, technology architectures are going through a generational shift to Cloud Computing, Mobile and broad adoption of agile and DevOps operational practices. The older technology architectures and vendors supplying solutions for these architectures are rapidly becoming obsolete.
- Market shift away from legacy vendors: Legacy vendors in the $20 billion per year IT Operations Management space like CA Technologies, HP, BMC, Compuware have not been able to innovate as IT applications shift to a new architecture and enterprises go through their digital transformation. Newer companies such as AppDynamics are leading the charge and have emerged as rapidly growing category leaders.
- The emergence of a new category "Application Intelligence": The new approach to managing IT is "application-centric" instead of "infrastructure-centric." All aspects of the IT Operations Management market are being redefined by applications, user experience and the business transactions they support. AppDynamics is leading the emergence of the new market category "Application Intelligence" where the core mission is to provide an integrated platform for Developers, Operations and the Business to maximize business performance delivered by software application investments. This encompasses performance monitoring, user experience monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, deployment automation, automatic remediation, and operational analytics, combined with seamless business intelligence to tie IT with Business.
- Disruption in Go-to-market models: The legacy go-to-market model of complex, slow to configure and deploy software with heavy Professional Services requirements is no longer fit for purpose. The new enterprise consumers are demanding easy-to-use products, try-before-you-buy and pay-as-you-go. AppDynamics unique go-to-market strategy of providing hybrid SaaS/on-premise deployments, easy to deploy freemium offerings, and a land-and-expand sales model is aligned with the new buying patterns in the enterprise.
AppDynamics Execution Highlights:
- Rapid growth: AppDynamics is one of the fastest-growing technology companies worldwide. The company grew more than 175 percent in its fiscal year 2014, which concluded on January 31, 2014. It currently has over 1,300 customers and has doubled its customer base every year for the last three years. Customers include some of the largest banks, largest retail companies and the largest SaaS providers globally. In the last 18 months the number of employees grew from 200 to over 450 based in over 12 countries including the US, UK, France, Germany, India, Japan, Australia and Singapore.
- Market leader recognition: In Gartner Inc.'s latest "Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Management" report, AppDynamics has been positioned in the Leader's quadrant for the second year in a row. For a complimentary copy of the report, visit www.appdynamics.com/gartner.
- Exceptional Customer Success & Loyalty: The company's latest Net Promoter Score (a single measure of customer loyalty) is at a world class 85, demonstrating the long-term nature of our customer relationships. The company's NPS is among the highest in the enterprise software industry.
- Great Place to Work: AppDynamics is widely recognized for its innovative and employee-friendly culture. In 2013, Forbes recognized AppDynamics as the best Cloud Computing Company to work for, and it's CEO Jyoti Bansalas the number one Cloud Computing CEO to work for. In 2014, AppDynamics was recognized by Glassdoor as one of the Best Medium-Sized Companies to Work For in its Employee's Choice Awards. In May 2014, its CEO Jyoti Bansalwas recognized as Best CEO in San Francisco Business Times Tech & Innovation Awards and named a finalist in the prestigious EY Entrepreneur of the Year awards.
- Rapid Innovation: With its latest platform release in March 2014, the company's Application Intelligence Platform provides the broadest and deepest visibility and management of software applications leveraging JAVA, .Net, node.js, PHP, NoSQL, SQL, Native Mobile and browser-based apps, NetApp Storage, IBM DataPower, Tibco, MongoDB and through its open platform APIs over 100 critical enterprise technologies such as Microsoft Azure, AWS, Pivotal, F5 and Hadoop. AppDynamics, unique among its competitors, offers SaaS, on-premise and private cloud deployment alternatives to its customers. These are available in a fully self-service try-and-buy freemium 'free-forever' edition or commercial Pro Edition.
- Platform Expansion: In March, AppDynamics announced beta availability of its analytics solution, 'Application Analytics.' This builds on the company's already market-leading Operational Analytics and Real-Time Business Metrics solution. General availability of 'Application Analytics' is targeted for later in 2014.
At AppDynamics, our Application Intelligence Platform helps today's software-defined businesses proactively monitor, manage and optimize the most complex software environments. All in real time, and all in production. With cloud and on-premise deployment flexibility, AppDynamics works and partners with many of the world's most innovative companies. Customers include Citrix, Edmunds, Expedia, Fox News, John Deere, OpenTable, Salesforce.com, Sephora, StubHub and Union Pacific Railroad. AppDynamics premier event for today's software-defined business AppSphere 2014, takes place November 3-5 in Las Vegas. For more information, visit www.appdynamics.com.
(1) Gartner, Market Share Analysis: IT Operations Management Software, Worldwide, 2013, Laurie F. Wurster, Federico De Silva, John Rizzuto, Matthew Cheung, David M. Coyle and Ronni J. Colville, May 30, 2014
(2) IDC, Worldwide Business Analytics Software 2013-2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares (IDC #241689), Dan Vesset, Brian McDonough, David Schubmehl and Mary Wardley, June 2013
As the software delivery industry continues to evolve and mature, the challenge of managing the growing list of the tools and processes becomes more daunting every day. Today, Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) platforms are proving most valuable by providing the governance, management and coordination for every stage of development, deployment and release. Recently, I spoke with Madison Moore at SD Times about the changing market and where ALM is headed.
Apr. 30, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,460
If there is anything we have learned by now, is that every business paves their own unique path for releasing software- every pipeline, implementation and practices are a bit different, and DevOps comes in all shapes and sizes. Software delivery practices are often comprised of set of several complementing (or even competing) methodologies – such as leveraging Agile, DevOps and even a mix of ITIL, to create the combination that’s most suitable for your organization and that maximize your busines...
Apr. 30, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,792
Struggling to keep up with increasing application demand? Learn how Platform as a Service (PaaS) can streamline application development processes and make resource management easy.
Apr. 30, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,045
The goal of any tech business worth its salt is to provide the best product or service to its clients in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible. This is just as true in the development of software products as it is in other product design services. Microservices, an app architecture style that leans mostly on independent, self-contained programs, are quickly becoming the new norm, so to speak. With this change comes a declining reliance on older SOAs like COBRA, a push toward more s...
Apr. 30, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,316
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,009
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,703
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,527
Digital means customer preferences and behavior are driving enterprise technology decisions to be sure, but let’s not forget our employees. After all, when we say customer, we mean customer writ large, including partners, supply chain participants, and yes, those salaried denizens whose daily labor forms the cornerstone of the enterprise. While your customers bask in the warm rays of your digital efforts, are your employees toiling away in the dark recesses of your enterprise, pecking data into...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 969
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,289
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,465
I had the opportunity to catch up with Chris Corriere - DevOps Engineer at AutoTrader - to talk about his experiences in the realm of Rugged DevOps. We discussed automation, culture and collaboration, and which thought leaders he is following. Chris Corriere: Hey, I'm Chris Corriere. I'm a DevOps Engineer AutoTrader. Derek Weeks: Today we're going to talk about Rugged DevOps. It's a subject that's gaining a lot of traction in the community but not a lot of people are really familiar with wh...
Apr. 30, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,568
Wow, if you ever wanted to learn about Rugged DevOps (some call it DevSecOps), sit down for a spell with Shannon Lietz, Ian Allison and Scott Kennedy from Intuit. We discussed a number of important topics including internal war games, culture hacking, gamification of Rugged DevOps and starting as a small team. There are 100 gold nuggets in this conversation for novices and experts alike.
Apr. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 512
In 2006, Martin Fowler posted his now famous essay on Continuous Integration. Looking back, what seemed revolutionary, radical or just plain crazy is now common, pedestrian and "just what you do." I love it. Back then, building and releasing software was a real pain. Integration was something you did at the end, after code complete, and we didn't know how long it would take. Some people may recall how we, as an industry, spent a massive amount of time integrating code from one team with another...
Apr. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 752
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Apr. 30, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,465
With DevOps becoming more well-known and established practice in nearly every industry that delivers software, it is important to continually reassess its efficacy. This week’s top 10 includes a discussion on how the quick uptake of DevOps adoption in the enterprise has posed some serious challenges. Additionally, organizations who have taken the DevOps plunge must find ways to find, hire and keep their DevOps talent in order to keep the machine running smoothly.
Apr. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,391
Call it DevOps or not, if you are concerned about releasing more code faster and at a higher quality, the resulting software delivery chain and process will look and smell like DevOps. But for existing development teams, no matter what the velocity objective is, getting from here to there is not something that can be done without a plan. Moving your release cadence from months to weeks is not just about learning Agile practices and getting some automation tools. It involves people, tooling and ...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,486
Between the mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Charles Kendrick, CTO & Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how business and devel...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,730
The notion of customer journeys, of course, are central to the digital marketer’s playbook. Clearly, enterprises should focus their digital efforts on such journeys, as they represent customer interactions over time. But making customer journeys the centerpiece of the enterprise architecture, however, leaves more questions than answers. The challenge arises when EAs consider the context of the customer journey in the overall architecture as well as the architectural elements that make up each...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,946
Much of the discussion around cloud DevOps focuses on the speed with which companies need to get new code into production. This focus is important – because in an increasingly digital marketplace, new code enables new value propositions. New code is also often essential for maintaining competitive parity with market innovators. But new code doesn’t just have to deliver the functionality the business requires. It also has to behave well because the behavior of code in the cloud affects performan...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,349
APIs have taken the world by storm in recent years. The use of APIs has gone beyond just traditional "software" companies, to companies and organizations across industries using APIs to share information and power their applications. For some organizations, APIs are the biggest revenue drivers. For example, Salesforce generates nearly 50% of annual revenue through APIs. In other cases, APIs can increase a business's footprint and initiate collaboration. Netflix, for example, reported over 5 bi...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,560