|By Blake Dournaee||
|December 16, 2013 03:30 PM EST||
The New Year is fast approaching and it’s time for some wild, speculative predictions on API Management for 2014. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the space is has been rapidly maturing over the second half of 2013 with larger vendors such as IBM, Tibco and Intel making big moves. In Q3, 2013 Gartner sized the standalone API management market for 2013 at about $100M (70MM in 2012 with 40% expected growth).
The total market size as estimated here may seem small but this market intersects with the more traditional, and larger ($474M in 2012), SOA governance market because API management products both complement SOA governance and act as substitutes. The growth and success of API management programs, both public and internal, cause Enterprises to look at how they were handling their existing non-managed SOAP & REST APIs. This second look raises questions about how APIs and interfaces might be better managed in the future, especially when you have to address new demands and channels such as different screen types, developer communities, customers, partners, and devices. So what will 2014 bring? Here are my six API management predictions for 2014.
- SOA will reincarnate itself or die a second time – Services are alive and well and service orientation has reached the plateau of productivity, but unless Enterprises find a way to socialize APIs locked up in their existing SOA governance systems, these incumbent products will be quickly passed over in favor of new ways of sharing APIs – a simple developer portal. This services evangelism race is about marketing interfaces to developers and at the starting line developer portals are the Tesla Model S and SOA registry/repositories are the U-Haul. One vehicle you want to drive and the other you drive only when you have to. If you don’t believe me, try searching a UDDI directory and compare that experience to this. The prediction here is that traditional SOA governance solutions will evolve to compete on experiences and improved sharing of API metadata or die trying.
- Internal API management will be the silent killer app – We have seen quote after quote this year from Netflix, and Programmable Web that Internal API management, which translates into a shared services layer for use by internal applications, is one of the largest, albeit hidden use cases. For newcomers to the space peppered with exciting stories of public and open developer programs, this is a shock, but only because internal API management programs aren’t advertised. The prediction here is that your company is probably already running with hundreds of internal APIs that lack management, are difficult to discover and document, and hard to use by internal developers, existing applications and partners. API management opportunities are likely under your nose in the form of exposing these APIs outside or helping your organization share data internally more efficiently.
- Mobile enablement will lead the way – APIs expose data to mobile devices. Without them, all of the ‘app’ experiences we have on tablets and smart-phones would be silo’d. Think back to the days of PC computing before modems or the Internet. That is what an app would be like without an API today. Almost every Enterprise we talk to has a mobile strategy that involves moving traditional IT services to an API layer to make new experiences available to their employees, powered by APIs. The prediction here is that second to internal use, mobile enablement will drive the use of API management and security for external interfaces in 2014.
- Security concerns will take center stage – As screen types proliferate, Enterprises will need a strategy and approach for API security that covers more than just enabling “OAuth”. As internal systems participate in API management, a security layer will be needed to decouple perimeter defense, denial of service protection, JSON attack protection, compliance, authentication, authorization and message level security. Otherwise, the ability for an Enterprise to scale its APIs externally will be limited by number of security developers and their expertise in the myriad middleware systems and programming languages in use at the Enterprise. The prediction here is that in order to scale their API management programs Enterprises will need to implement an API governance and delivery tier, whether on-premise or in the cloud – done with or without a vendor product.
- IoT could be a bull in the china shop – IoT promises a vision of Wireless sensor networks and low powered devices becoming part of the Industrial Internet. Once enabled, data from sensors could and eventually be exposed through APIs. If sensor data converges on REST (or SOAP) as the final consolidation point demand for API management could skyrocket beyond what we have seen to date, possibly altering the Gartner market size estimates in a big way.
- API management will be a journey – In 2014, API management will evolve to a suite or platform approach, rather than point tools and the vendor or vendors that can best easily fit into a heterogeneous environment with flexible products will be best positioned to compete. Here is what the journey might look like: Enterprises can start anywhere with API management – some may begin with an open developer program, move to internal API management and then eventually deploy API management in a hybrid architecture. Or, some Enterprises may start only with internal API management and devise a business case and marketing plan for long-tail exposure of their products through an open API developer program. Whenever they start, API management will be an enabler of a particular business model, either driving down costs or providing new sources of value.
In the rush to compete in the digital age, a successful digital transformation is essential, but many organizations are setting themselves up for failure. There’s a common misconception that the process is just about technology, but it’s not. It’s about your business. It shouldn’t be treated as an isolated IT project; it should be driven by business needs with the committed involvement of a range of stakeholders.
Jun. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,841
Automation is a critical component of DevOps and Continuous Delivery. This morning on #c9d9 we discussed CD Automation and how you can apply Automation to accelerate release cycles, improve quality, safety and governance? What is the difference between Automation and Orchestration? Where should you begin your journey to introduce both?
Jun. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,543
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,514
In today's enterprise, digital transformation represents organizational change even more so than technology change, as customer preferences and behavior drive end-to-end transformation across lines of business as well as IT. To capitalize on the ubiquitous disruption driving this transformation, companies must be able to innovate at an increasingly rapid pace. Traditional approaches for driving innovation are now woefully inadequate for keeping up with the breadth of disruption and change facin...
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,905
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 31, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 932
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,255
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,049
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,351
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,842
Just last week a senior Hybris consultant shared the story of a customer engagement on which he was working. This customer had problems, serious problems. We’re talking about response times far beyond the most liberal acceptable standard. They were unable to solve the issue in their eCommerce platform – specifically Hybris. Although the eCommerce project was delivered by a system integrator / implementation partner, the vendor still gets involved when things go really wrong. After all, the vendo...
May. 31, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,591
While there has been much ado about interoperability, there are still no real solutions, same as last year and the year before that. The large EHR vendors who continue to dominate the market still maintain that interoperability is all but solved, still can't connect EHRs across the continuum causing frustration by providers and a disservice to patients. The ONC pays lip service to the problem, but that is about it. It is time for the healthcare industry to consider alternatives like middleware w...
May. 31, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,913
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,921
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
May. 31, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,739
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,648
Earlier this week, we hosted a Continuous Discussion (#c9d9) on Continuous Delivery (CD) automation and orchestration, featuring expert panelists Dondee Tan, Test Architect at Alaska Air, Taco Bakker, a LEAN Six Sigma black belt focusing on CD, and our own Sam Fell and Anders Wallgren. During this episode, we discussed the differences between CD automation and orchestration, their challenges with setting up CD pipelines and some of the common chokepoints, as well as some best practices and tips...
May. 31, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,495
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,465
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 31, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,438
When I talk about driving innovation with self-organizing teams, I emphasize that such self-organization includes expecting the participants to organize their own teams, give themselves their own goals, and determine for themselves how to measure their success. In contrast, the definition of skunkworks points out that members of such teams are “usually specially selected.” Good thing he added the word usually – because specially selecting such teams throws a wrench in the entire works, limiting...
May. 31, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,713
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,409
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 31, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,396