|By Matt Hester||
|November 3, 2013 06:00 PM EST||
In Kevin Remde's post this week he talked about many new features for Windows Server 2012 R2 Active directory. You can find his great post here: What’s New for Active Directory in Server 2012 R2. One of the new functionalities he mentioned was Workplace Join. Workplace join allows you to deal with the explosion of devices (Windows and Non-Windows (like iOS) connecting to your organization. This has you constantly trying to maintain your organizations compliance and security. Especially with users located all around the world across multiple platforms and devices this is a challenge.
If this sounds like you currently or is soon going to be you then you will want to check out Workplace join. Workplace join allows users to register devices (including IOS) for single sign-on and access to corporate data. In today’s article I am going to take a look at how to set this feature up step by step.
This feature does require Windows Server 2012 R2, and you will need to configure Active Directory and Active Directory Federation Services to make this work. Additionally you will need to create an Enterprise Certificate Authority for the certificates you will need for this service to work properly. Overall the process is straight forward, but you will need to make sure you dot all your I’s and cross your T’s. For my environment, I created 4 separate virtual machines to test this out. I created an AD DC, AD FS server, a Web Server (for testing) and a Windows 8,1 client. The full configuration and the test application for this configuration can be found here, it is an excellent article: Set up the lab environment for AD FS in Windows Server 2012 R2
Configure the Domain Controller
On the DC you will need to make a Globally Managed Service Account (GMSA). The GMSA account is required during the AD FS installation and configuration.
- Open a PowerShell command window and type:
Add-KdsRootKey –EffectiveTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-10)
New-ADServiceAccount FsGmsa -DNSHostName adfs1.contoso.com -ServicePrincipalNames http/adfs1.contoso.com
Note: This command is for a domain name contoso.com and if your ADFS server is named adfs1.
Configure Your Certificate
When you configure your domain controller you will also want to add and configure the certificate authority services. Here is a great article for this process here: Configure SSL/TLS on a Web site in the domain with an Enterprise CA. However, when you create the certificate you will want to allow for…Also check John’s video out below for a little more detail on how the certificates work. This is also something you want to make sure you follow closely.
Configure Active Directory Federation Services
On the AD FS server you will need to enroll the certificate from the article above on configuring your Enterprise CA. When you bring the cert in you will want to make sure you configure it with the follow attributes
- Subject Name (CN): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): enterpriseregistration.contoso.com
After you have configure your certificate you need to add the ADFS role
- Log onto the server using the domain administrator account ([email protected]).
- Open Server Manager. To do this, click Server Manager on the Start screen, or Server Manager in the taskbar on the desktop. In the Quick Start tab of the Welcome tile on the Dashboard page, click Add roles and features. Alternatively, you can click Add Roles and Features on the Manage menu.
- On the Before you begin page, click Next.
- On the Select installation type page, click Role-based or feature-based installation, and click Next.
- On the Select destination server page, click Select a server from the server pool, verify that the target computer is highlighted, and then click Next.
- On the Select server roles page, click Active Directory Federation Services, and then click Next.
- On the Select features page, click Next.
- On the Active Directory Federation Service (AD FS) page, click Next.
- After you verify the information on the Confirm installation selections page, select the Restart the destination server automatically if required check box, and then click Install.
- On the Installation progress page, verify that everything installed correctly, and then click Close.
After the role is installed you will need to configure the service. On the Server Manager Dashboard page, click the Notifications flag, and then click Configure the federation service on the server This is for a domain name confoso,com and an ADFS server named adfs1.
- The Active Directory Federation Service Configuration Wizard is launched.1.On the Welcome page, select Create the first federation server in a federation server farm and click Next.
- On the Connect to AD DS page, specify an account with domain administrator permissions for the contoso.com AD domain that this computer is joined to and then click Next.
- On the Specify Service Properties page, do the following and then click Next:
- Import the SSL certificate that you have obtained earlier. This is the required service authentication certificate. Browse to the location of your SSL certificate.
- Provide a name for your federation service, type adfs1.contoso.com. This is the same value you provided when enrolling an SSL certificated in AD CS.
- Provide a display name for your federation service, type, Contoso Corporation.
- On the Specify Service Account page, select Use an existing domain user account or group Managed Service Account and then specify the GMSA account (fsgmsa) you created when setting up the domain controller.
- On the Specify Configuration Database page, select Create a database on this server using Windows Internal Database and then click Next.
- On the Review Options page, verify your configuration selections and click Next.
- On the Pre-requisite Checks page, verify that all pre-requisite checks were successfully completed, and then click Configure.
- On the Results page, review the results and whether the configuration has completed successfully, and then click Next steps required for completing your federation service deployment.
You will also need to run some PowerShell commands and configurations to finish the ADFS configuration. In a PowerShell command window run the following commands:
When prompted for a service account, type contoso\fsgmsa$ (Or whatever account you created)
NEXT STEP IMPORTANT: After you have run the PowerShell command on your ADFS server open the AD FS Management console. Navigate to Authentication Policies. Select Edit Global Primary Authentication. Select the checkbox next to Enable Device Authentication and then click OK.
Lastly, you will need to make sure you have the following DNS records for the Device Registration Services.
IP address of the AD FS server
You can use the following procedure to add a host (A) resource records to corporate DNS for federation server and the device registration service.
- On DC1, from Server Manager, from the Tools menu, click DNS to open the DNS snap-in.
- In the console tree, expand DC1, expand Forward Lookup Zones, right-click contoso.com, and then click New Host (A or AAAA).
- In Name, type the name you will use for your AD FS farm, for this walkthrough, type adfs1.
- In IP address, type the IP address of the ADFS1 server. Click Add Host.
- Right-click contoso.com, and then click New Alias (CNAME).
- In the New Resource Record dialog box, type enterpriseregistration in the Alias name box.
In the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the target host box, type adfs1.contoso.com and click OK.
Configure Windows Client
- Log on to your Windows 8 Client with your Microsoft account.
- On the Start screen, open the Charms bar and then select the Settings charm. Select Change PC Settings.
- On the PC Settings page, select Network and then click Workplace.
- In the Enter your UserID to get workplace access or turn on device management box, type <login name>@<domain.com> and then click Join.
- When prompted for credentials, type your domain credentials and Click OK.
- You should now see the message: This device has joined your workplace network.
If you want to learn how to set this up for your iOS devices check out this article: Walkthrough Guide- Workplace Join with an iOS Device
As you can see there a lot of moving parts to get this in working, and from my experience you want to make sure you get the certificates correct or you will be troubleshooting into the late evening.
If you want to see this in action, check out this great video by John Savill:
For the full list in the series: Windows Server 2012 R2 Launch Blog Series Index #WhyWin2012R2
Focused on this fast-growing market’s needs, Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation (Nasdaq: VTSS), a leading provider of IC solutions to advance "Ethernet Everywhere" in Carrier, Enterprise and Internet of Things (IoT) networks, introduced its IStaX™ software (VSC6815SDK), a robust protocol stack to simplify deployment and management of Industrial-IoT network applications such as Industrial Ethernet switching, surveillance, video distribution, LCD signage, intelligent sensors, and metering equipment. Leveraging technologies proven in the Carrier and Enterprise markets, IStaX is designed to work ac...
Nov. 20, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 857
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Nov. 20, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 758
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 20, 2014 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,038
C-Labs LLC, a leading provider of remote and mobile access for the Internet of Things (IoT), announced the appointment of John Traynor to the position of chief operating officer. Previously a strategic advisor to the firm, Mr. Traynor will now oversee sales, marketing, finance, and operations. Mr. Traynor is based out of the C-Labs office in Redmond, Washington. He reports to Chris Muench, Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Traynor brings valuable business leadership and technology industry expertise to C-Labs. With over 30 years' experience in the high-tech sector, John Traynor has held numerous...
Nov. 20, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 876
Bit6 today issued a challenge to the technology community implementing Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC). To leap beyond WebRTC’s significant limitations and fully leverage its underlying value to accelerate innovation, application developers need to consider the entire communications ecosystem.
Nov. 20, 2014 04:45 PM EST Reads: 570
The 3rd International @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades.
Nov. 20, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,276
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Nov. 20, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,586
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Nov. 18, 2014 09:00 PM EST Reads: 1,903
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Nov. 18, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,395
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Nov. 18, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,325
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Nov. 18, 2014 01:30 PM EST Reads: 1,919
Smart devices that use wireless technology to exchange information with each other and with their human owners: this is the Internet of Things (IoT). This incredible level of connectivity is already transforming how we exercise, treat diseases, park our cars and access business documents. Research firm IDC projects that the IoT world of connected devices will grow to 200 billion objects by 2020. As more businesses, entrepreneurs and government entities embrace the IoT, more data will be generated daily than the already mind-boggling 2.5 quintillion bytes of data per day. However, even curren...
Nov. 15, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,593
The Industrial Revolution in the 18th to 19th centuries was a period during which predominantly rural societies in Europe and America became industrial and urban. Advances in steam technology, transportation, mass production and the telegraph collectively transformed industry and society. Today, the Internet of Things (IoT) has the potential to once again transform industry and society just as the Industrial Revolution did. Analyst firm IDC forecasts that the IoT market will grow to $8.9 trillion by 2020 with anywhere between 30 to 50 billion connected autonomous things, making the potential g...
Nov. 15, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,649
Cloud Expo 2014 TV commercials will feature @ThingsExpo, which was launched in June, 2014 at New York City's Javits Center as the largest 'Internet of Things' event in the world. The next @ThingsExpo will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, in Santa Clara, California. Since its launch in 2008, Cloud Expo TV commercials have been aired and CNBC, Fox News Network, and Bloomberg TV. Please enjoy our 2014 commercial.
Nov. 13, 2014 05:00 AM EST Reads: 3,487
From a software development perspective IoT is about programming "things," about connecting them with each other or integrating them with existing applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Yakov Fain, co-founder of Farata Systems and SuranceBay, will show you how small IoT-enabled devices from multiple manufacturers can be integrated into the workflow of an enterprise application. This is a practical demo of building a framework and components in HTML/Java/Mobile technologies to serve as a platform that can integrate new devices as they become available on the market.
Nov. 10, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,590
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Nov. 10, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 5,894
Located in booth #314, the Bsquare team will present DataV demos and discuss how DataV will help customers put their data to work to improve business outcomes. DataV is unlocking new initiatives across a wide landscape of customers in industries such as industrial manufacturing, transportation, retail and mobile. The solution is designed to complement a new project start or help to enrich an existing machine investment.
Nov. 6, 2014 03:15 PM EST Reads: 2,323
The Physical Web incorporates beacons that can be put in any small retail store, for example, so that every store now has "an app" for its customers. In this Birds-of-a-Feather session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Scott Jenson, Product Designer at Google, will discuss the Physical Web and how it is an open standard so any device can broadcast a URL wirelessly, so any phone/tablet/watch nearby can see, and rank those devices. When the user taps on one, they just go to that web page. It's really that simple. It's about thinking small, enabling micro-information (what is in my prescription bottle...
Nov. 3, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 2,503
BSQUARE is a global leader of embedded software solutions. We enable smart connected systems at the device level and beyond that millions use every day and provide actionable data solutions for the growing Internet of Things (IoT) market. We empower our world-class customers with our products, services and solutions to achieve innovation and success. For more information, visit www.bsquare.com.
Nov. 3, 2014 03:00 PM EST Reads: 3,495
Whether you're a startup or a 100 year old enterprise, the Internet of Things offers a variety of new capabilities for your business. IoT style solutions can help you get closer your customers, launch new product lines and take over an industry. Some companies are dipping their toes in, but many have already taken the plunge, all while dramatic new capabilities continue to emerge. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Reid Carlberg, Senior Director, Developer Evangelism at salesforce.com, to discuss real-world use cases, patterns and opportunities you can harness today.
Nov. 3, 2014 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,780