|By Matt Hester||
|November 3, 2013 06:00 PM EST||
In Kevin Remde's post this week he talked about many new features for Windows Server 2012 R2 Active directory. You can find his great post here: What’s New for Active Directory in Server 2012 R2. One of the new functionalities he mentioned was Workplace Join. Workplace join allows you to deal with the explosion of devices (Windows and Non-Windows (like iOS) connecting to your organization. This has you constantly trying to maintain your organizations compliance and security. Especially with users located all around the world across multiple platforms and devices this is a challenge.
If this sounds like you currently or is soon going to be you then you will want to check out Workplace join. Workplace join allows users to register devices (including IOS) for single sign-on and access to corporate data. In today’s article I am going to take a look at how to set this feature up step by step.
This feature does require Windows Server 2012 R2, and you will need to configure Active Directory and Active Directory Federation Services to make this work. Additionally you will need to create an Enterprise Certificate Authority for the certificates you will need for this service to work properly. Overall the process is straight forward, but you will need to make sure you dot all your I’s and cross your T’s. For my environment, I created 4 separate virtual machines to test this out. I created an AD DC, AD FS server, a Web Server (for testing) and a Windows 8,1 client. The full configuration and the test application for this configuration can be found here, it is an excellent article: Set up the lab environment for AD FS in Windows Server 2012 R2
Configure the Domain Controller
On the DC you will need to make a Globally Managed Service Account (GMSA). The GMSA account is required during the AD FS installation and configuration.
- Open a PowerShell command window and type:
Add-KdsRootKey –EffectiveTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-10)
New-ADServiceAccount FsGmsa -DNSHostName adfs1.contoso.com -ServicePrincipalNames http/adfs1.contoso.com
Note: This command is for a domain name contoso.com and if your ADFS server is named adfs1.
Configure Your Certificate
When you configure your domain controller you will also want to add and configure the certificate authority services. Here is a great article for this process here: Configure SSL/TLS on a Web site in the domain with an Enterprise CA. However, when you create the certificate you will want to allow for…Also check John’s video out below for a little more detail on how the certificates work. This is also something you want to make sure you follow closely.
Configure Active Directory Federation Services
On the AD FS server you will need to enroll the certificate from the article above on configuring your Enterprise CA. When you bring the cert in you will want to make sure you configure it with the follow attributes
- Subject Name (CN): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): enterpriseregistration.contoso.com
After you have configure your certificate you need to add the ADFS role
- Log onto the server using the domain administrator account ([email protected]).
- Open Server Manager. To do this, click Server Manager on the Start screen, or Server Manager in the taskbar on the desktop. In the Quick Start tab of the Welcome tile on the Dashboard page, click Add roles and features. Alternatively, you can click Add Roles and Features on the Manage menu.
- On the Before you begin page, click Next.
- On the Select installation type page, click Role-based or feature-based installation, and click Next.
- On the Select destination server page, click Select a server from the server pool, verify that the target computer is highlighted, and then click Next.
- On the Select server roles page, click Active Directory Federation Services, and then click Next.
- On the Select features page, click Next.
- On the Active Directory Federation Service (AD FS) page, click Next.
- After you verify the information on the Confirm installation selections page, select the Restart the destination server automatically if required check box, and then click Install.
- On the Installation progress page, verify that everything installed correctly, and then click Close.
After the role is installed you will need to configure the service. On the Server Manager Dashboard page, click the Notifications flag, and then click Configure the federation service on the server This is for a domain name confoso,com and an ADFS server named adfs1.
- The Active Directory Federation Service Configuration Wizard is launched.1.On the Welcome page, select Create the first federation server in a federation server farm and click Next.
- On the Connect to AD DS page, specify an account with domain administrator permissions for the contoso.com AD domain that this computer is joined to and then click Next.
- On the Specify Service Properties page, do the following and then click Next:
- Import the SSL certificate that you have obtained earlier. This is the required service authentication certificate. Browse to the location of your SSL certificate.
- Provide a name for your federation service, type adfs1.contoso.com. This is the same value you provided when enrolling an SSL certificated in AD CS.
- Provide a display name for your federation service, type, Contoso Corporation.
- On the Specify Service Account page, select Use an existing domain user account or group Managed Service Account and then specify the GMSA account (fsgmsa) you created when setting up the domain controller.
- On the Specify Configuration Database page, select Create a database on this server using Windows Internal Database and then click Next.
- On the Review Options page, verify your configuration selections and click Next.
- On the Pre-requisite Checks page, verify that all pre-requisite checks were successfully completed, and then click Configure.
- On the Results page, review the results and whether the configuration has completed successfully, and then click Next steps required for completing your federation service deployment.
You will also need to run some PowerShell commands and configurations to finish the ADFS configuration. In a PowerShell command window run the following commands:
When prompted for a service account, type contoso\fsgmsa$ (Or whatever account you created)
NEXT STEP IMPORTANT: After you have run the PowerShell command on your ADFS server open the AD FS Management console. Navigate to Authentication Policies. Select Edit Global Primary Authentication. Select the checkbox next to Enable Device Authentication and then click OK.
Lastly, you will need to make sure you have the following DNS records for the Device Registration Services.
IP address of the AD FS server
You can use the following procedure to add a host (A) resource records to corporate DNS for federation server and the device registration service.
- On DC1, from Server Manager, from the Tools menu, click DNS to open the DNS snap-in.
- In the console tree, expand DC1, expand Forward Lookup Zones, right-click contoso.com, and then click New Host (A or AAAA).
- In Name, type the name you will use for your AD FS farm, for this walkthrough, type adfs1.
- In IP address, type the IP address of the ADFS1 server. Click Add Host.
- Right-click contoso.com, and then click New Alias (CNAME).
- In the New Resource Record dialog box, type enterpriseregistration in the Alias name box.
In the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the target host box, type adfs1.contoso.com and click OK.
Configure Windows Client
- Log on to your Windows 8 Client with your Microsoft account.
- On the Start screen, open the Charms bar and then select the Settings charm. Select Change PC Settings.
- On the PC Settings page, select Network and then click Workplace.
- In the Enter your UserID to get workplace access or turn on device management box, type <login name>@<domain.com> and then click Join.
- When prompted for credentials, type your domain credentials and Click OK.
- You should now see the message: This device has joined your workplace network.
If you want to learn how to set this up for your iOS devices check out this article: Walkthrough Guide- Workplace Join with an iOS Device
As you can see there a lot of moving parts to get this in working, and from my experience you want to make sure you get the certificates correct or you will be troubleshooting into the late evening.
If you want to see this in action, check out this great video by John Savill:
For the full list in the series: Windows Server 2012 R2 Launch Blog Series Index #WhyWin2012R2
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, ...
Apr. 24, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,295
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Ras...
Apr. 24, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,953
One of the most frequently requested Rancher features, load balancers are used to distribute traffic between docker containers. Now Rancher users can configure, update and scale up an integrated load balancing service to meet their application needs, using either Rancher's UI or API. To implement our load balancing functionality we decided to use HAproxy, which is deployed as a contianer, and managed by the Rancher orchestration functionality. With Rancher's Load Balancing capability, users ...
Apr. 24, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,012
SYS-CON Events announced today the DevOps Foundation Certification Course, being held June ?, 2015, in conjunction with DevOps Summit and 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows will res...
Apr. 24, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,459
The stack is the hack, Jack. That's my takeaway from several events I attended over the past few weeks in Silicon Valley and Southeast Asia. I listened to and participated in discussions about everything from large datacenter management (think Facebook Open Compute) to enterprise-level cyberfraud (at a seminar in Manila attended by the US State Dept. and Philippine National Police) to the world of entrepreneurial startups, app deployment, and mobility (in a series of meetups and talks in bot...
Apr. 24, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,263
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vicom Computer Services, Inc., a provider of technology and service solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. They are located at booth #427. Vicom Computer Services, Inc. is a progressive leader in the technology industry for over 30 years. Headquartered in the NY Metropolitan area. Vicom provides products and services based on today’s requirements...
Apr. 24, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,689
Public Cloud IaaS started it's life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in ado...
Apr. 24, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,180
Dave will share his insights on how Internet of Things for Enterprises are transforming and making more productive and efficient operations and maintenance (O&M) procedures in the cleantech industry and beyond. Speaker Bio: Dave Landa is chief operating officer of Cybozu Corp (kintone US). Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dave has been on the forefront of the Cloud revolution driving strategic business development on the executive teams of multiple leading Software as a Services (SaaS) ap...
Apr. 24, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,463
SYS-CON Events announced today that Soha will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Soha delivers enterprise-grade application security, on any device, as agile as the cloud. This turnkey, cloud-based service enables customers to solve secure application access and delivery challenges that traditional or virtualized network solutions cannot solve because they are too expensive, inflexible and operational...
Apr. 24, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,641
Microsoft is releasing in the near future Azure Service Fabric as a preview beta. Azure Service Fabric is built to run microservices - a complex application consisting of smaller, interlocked components that enables updating components without disrupting service. Microsoft has used this over the past few years internally for many of its own applications and the new release is for general use, a new product. OSIsoft is an early adopter of this system and run with it to expand into the explo...
Apr. 24, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,194
ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure IaaS, today released its SDK for Ruby, written against the company's new RESTful API. The new SDK joins ProfitBricks' previously announced support for the popular multi-cloud open-source Fog project. This new Ruby SDK, which exposes advanced functionality to take advantage of ProfitBricks' simplicity and productivity, aligns with ProfitBricks' mission to provide a painless way to automate infrastructure in the cloud. Ruby is a genera...
Apr. 24, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 984
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will mee...
Apr. 24, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,860
of cloud, colocation, managed services and disaster recovery solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. TierPoint, LLC, is a leading national provider of information technology and data center services, including cloud, colocation, disaster recovery and managed IT services, with corporate headquarters in St. Louis, MO. TierPoint was formed through the strategic combination of some of t...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,625
Apr. 24, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,185
ProfitBricks has launched its new DevOps Central and REST API, along with support for three multi-cloud libraries and a Python SDK. This, combined with its already existing SOAP API and its new RESTful API, moves ProfitBricks into a position to better serve the DevOps community and provide the ability to automate cloud infrastructure in a multi-cloud world. Following this momentum, ProfitBricks has also introduced several libraries that enable developers to use their favorite language to code ...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,654
ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure IaaS, announced the launch of its new DevOps Central and REST API, along with support for three multi-cloud libraries and a Python SDK. This, combined with its already existing SOAP API and its new RESTful API, moves ProfitBricks into a position to better serve the DevOps community and provide the ability to automate cloud infrastructure in a multi-cloud world. Following this momentum, ProfitBricks is also today introducing several l...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,098
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to off...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,276
There is no quick way to learn Jython API but to experiment with it. The easiest way is to start with Jytutor extension for XL Deploy. Now you can also use the code snippet for exposing jython/python context in XL Deploy environment by running it directly in Jytutor Here’s how you can go ahead with that Download the Jytutor extension referring to the Jytutor Blog or from the following link https://github.com/xebialabs-community/xld-jytutor-plugin/releases Shutdown your XL Deploy server...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 706
79% of new products miss their launch date. That was the conclusion of a CGT/Sopheon Survey in which the impact of such market misses were also explored. What it didn't dig into was the reason why so many products and projects miss their launch date. When we start digging into the details with respect to applications, we can find at least one causal factor in the delivery process, specifically that portion which focuses on the actual move into production, from which consumers (internal and...
Apr. 24, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 822