|By Matt Hester||
|November 3, 2013 06:00 PM EST||
In Kevin Remde's post this week he talked about many new features for Windows Server 2012 R2 Active directory. You can find his great post here: What’s New for Active Directory in Server 2012 R2. One of the new functionalities he mentioned was Workplace Join. Workplace join allows you to deal with the explosion of devices (Windows and Non-Windows (like iOS) connecting to your organization. This has you constantly trying to maintain your organizations compliance and security. Especially with users located all around the world across multiple platforms and devices this is a challenge.
If this sounds like you currently or is soon going to be you then you will want to check out Workplace join. Workplace join allows users to register devices (including IOS) for single sign-on and access to corporate data. In today’s article I am going to take a look at how to set this feature up step by step.
This feature does require Windows Server 2012 R2, and you will need to configure Active Directory and Active Directory Federation Services to make this work. Additionally you will need to create an Enterprise Certificate Authority for the certificates you will need for this service to work properly. Overall the process is straight forward, but you will need to make sure you dot all your I’s and cross your T’s. For my environment, I created 4 separate virtual machines to test this out. I created an AD DC, AD FS server, a Web Server (for testing) and a Windows 8,1 client. The full configuration and the test application for this configuration can be found here, it is an excellent article: Set up the lab environment for AD FS in Windows Server 2012 R2
Configure the Domain Controller
On the DC you will need to make a Globally Managed Service Account (GMSA). The GMSA account is required during the AD FS installation and configuration.
- Open a PowerShell command window and type:
Add-KdsRootKey –EffectiveTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-10)
New-ADServiceAccount FsGmsa -DNSHostName adfs1.contoso.com -ServicePrincipalNames http/adfs1.contoso.com
Note: This command is for a domain name contoso.com and if your ADFS server is named adfs1.
Configure Your Certificate
When you configure your domain controller you will also want to add and configure the certificate authority services. Here is a great article for this process here: Configure SSL/TLS on a Web site in the domain with an Enterprise CA. However, when you create the certificate you will want to allow for…Also check John’s video out below for a little more detail on how the certificates work. This is also something you want to make sure you follow closely.
Configure Active Directory Federation Services
On the AD FS server you will need to enroll the certificate from the article above on configuring your Enterprise CA. When you bring the cert in you will want to make sure you configure it with the follow attributes
- Subject Name (CN): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): enterpriseregistration.contoso.com
After you have configure your certificate you need to add the ADFS role
- Log onto the server using the domain administrator account ([email protected]).
- Open Server Manager. To do this, click Server Manager on the Start screen, or Server Manager in the taskbar on the desktop. In the Quick Start tab of the Welcome tile on the Dashboard page, click Add roles and features. Alternatively, you can click Add Roles and Features on the Manage menu.
- On the Before you begin page, click Next.
- On the Select installation type page, click Role-based or feature-based installation, and click Next.
- On the Select destination server page, click Select a server from the server pool, verify that the target computer is highlighted, and then click Next.
- On the Select server roles page, click Active Directory Federation Services, and then click Next.
- On the Select features page, click Next.
- On the Active Directory Federation Service (AD FS) page, click Next.
- After you verify the information on the Confirm installation selections page, select the Restart the destination server automatically if required check box, and then click Install.
- On the Installation progress page, verify that everything installed correctly, and then click Close.
After the role is installed you will need to configure the service. On the Server Manager Dashboard page, click the Notifications flag, and then click Configure the federation service on the server This is for a domain name confoso,com and an ADFS server named adfs1.
- The Active Directory Federation Service Configuration Wizard is launched.1.On the Welcome page, select Create the first federation server in a federation server farm and click Next.
- On the Connect to AD DS page, specify an account with domain administrator permissions for the contoso.com AD domain that this computer is joined to and then click Next.
- On the Specify Service Properties page, do the following and then click Next:
- Import the SSL certificate that you have obtained earlier. This is the required service authentication certificate. Browse to the location of your SSL certificate.
- Provide a name for your federation service, type adfs1.contoso.com. This is the same value you provided when enrolling an SSL certificated in AD CS.
- Provide a display name for your federation service, type, Contoso Corporation.
- On the Specify Service Account page, select Use an existing domain user account or group Managed Service Account and then specify the GMSA account (fsgmsa) you created when setting up the domain controller.
- On the Specify Configuration Database page, select Create a database on this server using Windows Internal Database and then click Next.
- On the Review Options page, verify your configuration selections and click Next.
- On the Pre-requisite Checks page, verify that all pre-requisite checks were successfully completed, and then click Configure.
- On the Results page, review the results and whether the configuration has completed successfully, and then click Next steps required for completing your federation service deployment.
You will also need to run some PowerShell commands and configurations to finish the ADFS configuration. In a PowerShell command window run the following commands:
When prompted for a service account, type contoso\fsgmsa$ (Or whatever account you created)
NEXT STEP IMPORTANT: After you have run the PowerShell command on your ADFS server open the AD FS Management console. Navigate to Authentication Policies. Select Edit Global Primary Authentication. Select the checkbox next to Enable Device Authentication and then click OK.
Lastly, you will need to make sure you have the following DNS records for the Device Registration Services.
IP address of the AD FS server
You can use the following procedure to add a host (A) resource records to corporate DNS for federation server and the device registration service.
- On DC1, from Server Manager, from the Tools menu, click DNS to open the DNS snap-in.
- In the console tree, expand DC1, expand Forward Lookup Zones, right-click contoso.com, and then click New Host (A or AAAA).
- In Name, type the name you will use for your AD FS farm, for this walkthrough, type adfs1.
- In IP address, type the IP address of the ADFS1 server. Click Add Host.
- Right-click contoso.com, and then click New Alias (CNAME).
- In the New Resource Record dialog box, type enterpriseregistration in the Alias name box.
In the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the target host box, type adfs1.contoso.com and click OK.
Configure Windows Client
- Log on to your Windows 8 Client with your Microsoft account.
- On the Start screen, open the Charms bar and then select the Settings charm. Select Change PC Settings.
- On the PC Settings page, select Network and then click Workplace.
- In the Enter your UserID to get workplace access or turn on device management box, type <login name>@<domain.com> and then click Join.
- When prompted for credentials, type your domain credentials and Click OK.
- You should now see the message: This device has joined your workplace network.
If you want to learn how to set this up for your iOS devices check out this article: Walkthrough Guide- Workplace Join with an iOS Device
As you can see there a lot of moving parts to get this in working, and from my experience you want to make sure you get the certificates correct or you will be troubleshooting into the late evening.
If you want to see this in action, check out this great video by John Savill:
For the full list in the series: Windows Server 2012 R2 Launch Blog Series Index #WhyWin2012R2
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 7, 2016 07:45 AM EST Reads: 807
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Dec. 7, 2016 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,811
Kubernetes is a new and revolutionary open-sourced system for managing containers across multiple hosts in a cluster. Ansible is a simple IT automation tool for just about any requirement for reproducible environments. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Patrick Galbraith, a principal engineer at HPE, discussed how to build a fully functional Kubernetes cluster on a number of virtual machines or bare-metal hosts. Also included will be a brief demonstration of running a Galera MyS...
Dec. 7, 2016 06:15 AM EST Reads: 5,331
IT leaders face a monumental challenge. They must figure out how to sort through the cacophony of new technologies, buzzwords, and industry hype to find the right digital path forward for their organizations. And they simply cannot afford to fail. Those organizations that are fastest to the right digital path will be the ones that win. The path forward, however, is strewn with the legacy of decisions made long ago — often before any of the current leadership team assumed their roles. While it’s ...
Dec. 7, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,703
As we enter the final week before the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in Santa Clara, CA, it's time for me to reflect on six big topics that will be important during the show. Hybrid Cloud: This general-purpose term seems to provide a comfort zone for many enterprise IT managers. It sounds reassuring to be able to work with one of the major public-cloud providers like AWS or Microsoft Azure while still maintaining an on-site presence.
Dec. 7, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 2,883
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 7, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,881
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:15 AM EST Reads: 1,036
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 7, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,128
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 6, 2016 08:00 PM EST Reads: 513
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, showed how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyone fro...
Dec. 6, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 1,976
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 6, 2016 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,604
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 6, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,895
Logs are continuous digital records of events generated by all components of your software stack – and they’re everywhere – your networks, servers, applications, containers and cloud infrastructure just to name a few. The data logs provide are like an X-ray for your IT infrastructure. Without logs, this lack of visibility creates operational challenges for managing modern applications that drive today’s digital businesses.
Dec. 6, 2016 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,749
Monitoring of Docker environments is challenging. Why? Because each container typically runs a single process, has its own environment, utilizes virtual networks, or has various methods of managing storage. Traditional monitoring solutions take metrics from each server and applications they run. These servers and applications running on them are typically very static, with very long uptimes. Docker deployments are different: a set of containers may run many applications, all sharing the resource...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 5,646
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 2,621
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 6, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 655
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,223
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 3,358
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,754
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 6, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,178