|By Matt Hester||
|November 3, 2013 06:00 PM EST||
In Kevin Remde's post this week he talked about many new features for Windows Server 2012 R2 Active directory. You can find his great post here: What’s New for Active Directory in Server 2012 R2. One of the new functionalities he mentioned was Workplace Join. Workplace join allows you to deal with the explosion of devices (Windows and Non-Windows (like iOS) connecting to your organization. This has you constantly trying to maintain your organizations compliance and security. Especially with users located all around the world across multiple platforms and devices this is a challenge.
If this sounds like you currently or is soon going to be you then you will want to check out Workplace join. Workplace join allows users to register devices (including IOS) for single sign-on and access to corporate data. In today’s article I am going to take a look at how to set this feature up step by step.
This feature does require Windows Server 2012 R2, and you will need to configure Active Directory and Active Directory Federation Services to make this work. Additionally you will need to create an Enterprise Certificate Authority for the certificates you will need for this service to work properly. Overall the process is straight forward, but you will need to make sure you dot all your I’s and cross your T’s. For my environment, I created 4 separate virtual machines to test this out. I created an AD DC, AD FS server, a Web Server (for testing) and a Windows 8,1 client. The full configuration and the test application for this configuration can be found here, it is an excellent article: Set up the lab environment for AD FS in Windows Server 2012 R2
Configure the Domain Controller
On the DC you will need to make a Globally Managed Service Account (GMSA). The GMSA account is required during the AD FS installation and configuration.
- Open a PowerShell command window and type:
Add-KdsRootKey –EffectiveTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-10)
New-ADServiceAccount FsGmsa -DNSHostName adfs1.contoso.com -ServicePrincipalNames http/adfs1.contoso.com
Note: This command is for a domain name contoso.com and if your ADFS server is named adfs1.
Configure Your Certificate
When you configure your domain controller you will also want to add and configure the certificate authority services. Here is a great article for this process here: Configure SSL/TLS on a Web site in the domain with an Enterprise CA. However, when you create the certificate you will want to allow for…Also check John’s video out below for a little more detail on how the certificates work. This is also something you want to make sure you follow closely.
Configure Active Directory Federation Services
On the AD FS server you will need to enroll the certificate from the article above on configuring your Enterprise CA. When you bring the cert in you will want to make sure you configure it with the follow attributes
- Subject Name (CN): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): adfs1.contoso.com
- Subject Alternative Name (DNS): enterpriseregistration.contoso.com
After you have configure your certificate you need to add the ADFS role
- Log onto the server using the domain administrator account ([email protected]).
- Open Server Manager. To do this, click Server Manager on the Start screen, or Server Manager in the taskbar on the desktop. In the Quick Start tab of the Welcome tile on the Dashboard page, click Add roles and features. Alternatively, you can click Add Roles and Features on the Manage menu.
- On the Before you begin page, click Next.
- On the Select installation type page, click Role-based or feature-based installation, and click Next.
- On the Select destination server page, click Select a server from the server pool, verify that the target computer is highlighted, and then click Next.
- On the Select server roles page, click Active Directory Federation Services, and then click Next.
- On the Select features page, click Next.
- On the Active Directory Federation Service (AD FS) page, click Next.
- After you verify the information on the Confirm installation selections page, select the Restart the destination server automatically if required check box, and then click Install.
- On the Installation progress page, verify that everything installed correctly, and then click Close.
After the role is installed you will need to configure the service. On the Server Manager Dashboard page, click the Notifications flag, and then click Configure the federation service on the server This is for a domain name confoso,com and an ADFS server named adfs1.
- The Active Directory Federation Service Configuration Wizard is launched.1.On the Welcome page, select Create the first federation server in a federation server farm and click Next.
- On the Connect to AD DS page, specify an account with domain administrator permissions for the contoso.com AD domain that this computer is joined to and then click Next.
- On the Specify Service Properties page, do the following and then click Next:
- Import the SSL certificate that you have obtained earlier. This is the required service authentication certificate. Browse to the location of your SSL certificate.
- Provide a name for your federation service, type adfs1.contoso.com. This is the same value you provided when enrolling an SSL certificated in AD CS.
- Provide a display name for your federation service, type, Contoso Corporation.
- On the Specify Service Account page, select Use an existing domain user account or group Managed Service Account and then specify the GMSA account (fsgmsa) you created when setting up the domain controller.
- On the Specify Configuration Database page, select Create a database on this server using Windows Internal Database and then click Next.
- On the Review Options page, verify your configuration selections and click Next.
- On the Pre-requisite Checks page, verify that all pre-requisite checks were successfully completed, and then click Configure.
- On the Results page, review the results and whether the configuration has completed successfully, and then click Next steps required for completing your federation service deployment.
You will also need to run some PowerShell commands and configurations to finish the ADFS configuration. In a PowerShell command window run the following commands:
When prompted for a service account, type contoso\fsgmsa$ (Or whatever account you created)
NEXT STEP IMPORTANT: After you have run the PowerShell command on your ADFS server open the AD FS Management console. Navigate to Authentication Policies. Select Edit Global Primary Authentication. Select the checkbox next to Enable Device Authentication and then click OK.
Lastly, you will need to make sure you have the following DNS records for the Device Registration Services.
IP address of the AD FS server
You can use the following procedure to add a host (A) resource records to corporate DNS for federation server and the device registration service.
- On DC1, from Server Manager, from the Tools menu, click DNS to open the DNS snap-in.
- In the console tree, expand DC1, expand Forward Lookup Zones, right-click contoso.com, and then click New Host (A or AAAA).
- In Name, type the name you will use for your AD FS farm, for this walkthrough, type adfs1.
- In IP address, type the IP address of the ADFS1 server. Click Add Host.
- Right-click contoso.com, and then click New Alias (CNAME).
- In the New Resource Record dialog box, type enterpriseregistration in the Alias name box.
In the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the target host box, type adfs1.contoso.com and click OK.
Configure Windows Client
- Log on to your Windows 8 Client with your Microsoft account.
- On the Start screen, open the Charms bar and then select the Settings charm. Select Change PC Settings.
- On the PC Settings page, select Network and then click Workplace.
- In the Enter your UserID to get workplace access or turn on device management box, type <login name>@<domain.com> and then click Join.
- When prompted for credentials, type your domain credentials and Click OK.
- You should now see the message: This device has joined your workplace network.
If you want to learn how to set this up for your iOS devices check out this article: Walkthrough Guide- Workplace Join with an iOS Device
As you can see there a lot of moving parts to get this in working, and from my experience you want to make sure you get the certificates correct or you will be troubleshooting into the late evening.
If you want to see this in action, check out this great video by John Savill:
For the full list in the series: Windows Server 2012 R2 Launch Blog Series Index #WhyWin2012R2
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 739
Gartner is now treating algorithms like they are some kind of innovative addition to the modern digital discussion. Presumably the brilliant minds there have some novel insight into algorithms and, yes, the Algorithm Economy that CIOs should sit up and take notice of. Not only are algorithms nothing new, but much of what Gartner is saying about them is obvious. The bigger picture here is that software continues to improve, and enterprises are becoming increasingly software-driven, in part bec...
Jun. 17, 2016 04:07 PM EDT Reads: 765
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound...
Jun. 12, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,081
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Jun. 12, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,644
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Jun. 8, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,582
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Jun. 8, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,095
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 8, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,253
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Jun. 8, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,216
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City, and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world.
Jun. 8, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,384
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2016' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the g...
Jun. 8, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,668
Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) will feature the upcoming 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in a New York news documentary about the "New IT for the Future." The documentary will cover how big companies are transmitting or adopting the new IT for the future and will be filmed on the expo floor between June 7-June 9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. KBS has long been a leader in the development of the broadcasting culture of Korea. As the key public service broadcaster of Korea...
Jun. 8, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,592
SYS-CON Events announced today that Addteq will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Addteq is one of the top 10 Platinum Atlassian Experts who specialize in DevOps, custom and continuous integration, automation, plugin development, and consulting for midsize and global firms. Addteq firmly believes that automation is essential for successful software releases. Addteq centers its products a...
Jun. 8, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,565
In the rush to compete in the digital age, a successful digital transformation is essential, but many organizations are setting themselves up for failure. There’s a common misconception that the process is just about technology, but it’s not. It’s about your business. It shouldn’t be treated as an isolated IT project; it should be driven by business needs with the committed involvement of a range of stakeholders.
Jun. 8, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,632
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Jun. 7, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,205
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
Jun. 7, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,958
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a global technology solutions provider with over 400 employees, headquartered in the United States with offices in Canada, India, and the United Kingdom. Column Technologies provides “Best of Breed” technology solutions that automate the key DevOps principal...
Jun. 7, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,377
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Jun. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,757
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Jun. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,802
SYS-CON Events announced today that Anexia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Anexia offers high-quality customized managed hosting solutions for SaaS and IaaS companies. The company was founded in 2006 in Klagenfurt, Austria. Today, it has additional offices in Vienna, Graz, Munich, Cologne and New York City to serve numerous international customers.
Jun. 7, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,932
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Jun. 7, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,932