|By Marketwired .||
|March 11, 2013 08:05 AM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 03/11/13 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Yarra Valley Water (YVW) has implemented an Oracle Engineered Systems infrastructure to provide a standardized IT architecture aimed at helping the utility to improve business systems performance, achieve a better ROI and enhance customer service.
- Owned by the Victorian State Government, YVW is the largest of Melbourne's three water retail businesses. It provides water supply and sewerage services to over 1.7 million people and over 50,000 businesses in Melbourne's northern and eastern suburbs, including some recycled water and trade waste customers.
- The water provider is using Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud, the world's first engineered system for running business applications and the Oracle Exadata Database Machine, to consolidate its core systems and run its Oracle software. This includes Oracle Utilities Customer Care & Billing, which helps YVW manage 700,000 customer accounts, as well as Oracle's Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition 11g, Oracle WebCenter and Oracle WebCenter Content for its website and intranet portal.
- Significant performance gains have been achieved. The deployment of Oracle Exalogic for YVW's business critical billing and customer management application has helped with reduced application response times from up-to-nine seconds to sub seconds.
- In the data center, as a result of the use of Oracle Exadata, regular overnight re-indexing of the data warehouse, which previously took 8 hours, now takes around one hour; and a complete re-indexing/re-build, which covers six applications, now takes around 3.5 hours instead of 24 hours. This was assisted by moving it onto the new platform, with no code change required, helping translate into a significantly lower cost of ownership for YVW, and eliminating the need for onsite management overnight.
- Also planned to go live in the first half of 2013 is an "Easy Access" Portal for use by land developers and consultants. This will provide them with a personalized one-stop-shop for information, from which they can make online requests for authorization to proceed with land developments on parcels of land or to request that YVW provision infrastructure and services to those properties. The portal is being built with Oracle WebCenter Portal, Oracle Application Development Framework, Oracle Business Process Management (BPM) Suite and Oracle Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Suite.
- The move to Oracle infrastructure followed a review of its aging hardware systems and subsequent decision to in-source its IT systems from a managed service provider in order to better support its enterprise and mission critical applications.
- By deploying the Oracle infrastructure as a private cloud managed by Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, YVW is also assisted in achieving greater business agility. By adopting a cloud platform, the utility can commission and decommission test and development environments quickly and easily, and scale them up or back as required in the data center.
- Yarra Valley Water went live with Oracle Exalogic and Oracle Exadata in May 2012, coinciding with an upgrade of the Oracle Utilities Customer Care & Billing and Oracle Business Intelligence systems. The purchase of the Engineered Systems platform was made in December 2011. Other elements of YVW's private cloud platform include Oracle Identity Management, Oracle WebLogic Suite and built-in virtualization with Oracle VM.
- "There is nothing else quite like Oracle's Engineered Systems that I know of, for a start, we were amazed by the installation time. We placed the order at Christmas, had the boxes on the floor in January, and had them racked, cabled, installed and applications into development and testing within a month. By May we had Oracle Customer Care and Billing live and in production and that also included an upgrade to that application. Within two weeks we had all the performance and stability issues fixed. Now IT can deliver a much higher quality of service to the business. We were finding we were spending more time trying to actually manage the technology stack than trying to actually solve business problems. Now we can get back to focussing on business activities and business functions rather than keeping the engine room, effectively, just running," said Ramesh Subramaniam, Chief Architect, Yarra Valley Water.
- "Oracle Exalogic was attractive to us because it allowed us to focus more on the business applications than the technology and infrastructure, and reduced the need for us to be in the hardware game. We now only have two paired boxes to manage, rather than 12 disparate pieces of infrastructure requiring different skills sets -- our boxes look lonely! Because the systems are engineered to work together it is a very efficient way to implement IT -- it takes most of the design work out -- and we are definitely seeing the benefits of running Oracle software on Oracle hardware. We are very happy with the results, and will further develop our private cloud strategy around the Oracle platform," said Leigh Berrell, CIO, Yarra Valley Water.
- "Yarra Valley Water underlines the value proposition of our Engineered Systems -- not only as standalone solutions, but as tightly integrated and optimized components in the data center that allow our customers to embark on their private cloud strategy while reducing cost and improving performance through better hardware/software integration, from application to disk," concluded Robert Wickham, head of Oracle Exadata and Strategic Solutions, Oracle Australia and New Zealand.
- To read a full case study, click here.
- The following videos of YVW's use of its various Oracle solutions can also be seen:
- YVW Streamlines IT Practices with Oracle Exalogic and Oracle Exadata
- Exalogic Boosts Performance / Streamlines Resources for YVW
- YVW Improves Call Handling Times with Oracle Exalogic and Oracle Exadata
- Oracle Exalogic, Oracle Exadata Strategic Platform for YVW
- YVW Uses Oracle SOA and BPM for Orchestration / Re-use / Visibility
- YVW Implements Easy Access Portal with Oracle WebCenter
- OBIEE Provides YVW Visibility for Better Decision Making
- YVW Uses Oracle Identity and Access Management
- Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud
- Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle WebLogic Suite 12c
- Oracle Utilities Customer Care & Billing
- Oracle Business Intelligence
- Oracle's Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Oracle Service Oriented Architecture
- Oracle WebCenter
- Oracle WebCenter Content
- Oracle VM
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 23, 2017 05:15 AM EST Reads: 3,592
True Story. Over the past few years, Fannie Mae transformed the way in which they delivered software. Deploys increased from 1,200/month to 15,000/month. At the same time, productivity increased by 28% while reducing costs by 30%. But, how did they do it? During the All Day DevOps conference, over 13,500 practitioners from around the world to learn from their peers in the industry. Barry Snyder, Senior Manager of DevOps at Fannie Mae, was one of 57 practitioners who shared his real world journe...
Jan. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 1,003
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jan. 23, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 6,170
As 2016 approaches its end, the time to prepare for the year ahead is now! Following our own advice, we sat down with three XebiaLabs thought leaders–Andrew Phillips, Tim Buntel, and TJ Randall–and asked what they think the future has in store for the DevOps world. In 2017, we’ll see a new wave of “next gen platform” projects focused on container orchestration frameworks such as Kubernetes, and re-tooled PaaS platforms such as OpenShift or Cloud Foundry. Acceptance of the need for a cross-machi...
Jan. 23, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 2,236
We call it DevOps but much of the time there’s a lot more discussion about the needs and concerns of developers than there is about other groups. There’s a focus on improved and less isolated developer workflows. There are many discussions around collaboration, continuous integration and delivery, issue tracking, source code control, code review, IDEs, and xPaaS – and all the tools that enable those things. Changes in developer practices may come up – such as developers taking ownership of code ...
Jan. 23, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 1,838
Software development is a moving target. You have to keep your eye on trends in the tech space that haven’t even happened yet just to stay current. Consider what’s happened with augmented reality (AR) in this year alone. If you said you were working on an AR app in 2015, you might have gotten a lot of blank stares or jokes about Google Glass. Then Pokémon GO happened. Like AR, the trends listed below have been building steam for some time, but they’ll be taking off in surprising new directions b...
Jan. 23, 2017 12:45 AM EST Reads: 2,392
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and Containers together help companies to achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of D...
Jan. 23, 2017 12:15 AM EST Reads: 5,150
When building DevOps or continuous delivery practices you can learn a great deal from others. What choices did they make, what practices did they put in place, and how did they connect the dots? At Sonatype, we pulled together a set of 21 reference architectures for folks building continuous delivery and DevOps practices using Docker. Why? After 3,000 DevOps professionals attended our webinar on "Continuous Integration using Docker" discussing just one reference architecture example, we recogn...
Jan. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 1,443
An overall theme of Cloud computing and the specific practices within it is fundamentally one of automation. The core value of technology is to continually automate low level procedures to free up people to work on more value add activities, ultimately leading to the utopian goal of full Autonomic Computing. For example a great way to define your plan for DevOps tool chain adoption is through this lens. In this TechTarget article they outline a simple maturity model for planning this.
Jan. 22, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 981
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, drew upon his own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He also discussed the implementation of microservices in data and application integrat...
Jan. 22, 2017 07:15 PM EST Reads: 3,656
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, will explore the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and will give a real live, hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He will examine three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. This is a hands-on session that will require participants to bring their own laptops, and we will provide the rest.
Jan. 22, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 5,031
Here’s a novel, but controversial statement, “it’s time for the CEO, COO, CIO to start to take joint responsibility for application platform decisions.” For too many years now technical meritocracy has led the decision-making for the business with regard to platform selection. This includes, but is not limited to, servers, operating systems, virtualization, cloud and application platforms. In many of these cases the decision has not worked in favor of the business with regard to agility and cost...
Jan. 22, 2017 06:00 PM EST Reads: 731
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Jan. 22, 2017 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,553
As the race for the presidency heats up, IT leaders would do well to recall the famous catchphrase from Bill Clinton’s successful 1992 campaign against George H. W. Bush: “It’s the economy, stupid.” That catchphrase is important, because IT economics are important. Especially when it comes to cloud. Application performance management (APM) for the cloud may turn out to be as much about those economics as it is about customer experience.
Jan. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 4,751
When you focus on a journey from up-close, you look at your own technical and cultural history and how you changed it for the benefit of the customer. This was our starting point: too many integration issues, 13 SWP days and very long cycles. It was evident that in this fast-paced industry we could no longer afford this reality. We needed something that would take us beyond reducing the development lifecycles, CI and Agile methodologies. We made a fundamental difference, even changed our culture...
Jan. 22, 2017 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,209
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,645
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 3,767
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,302
Thanks to Docker, it becomes very easy to leverage containers to build, ship, and run any Linux application on any kind of infrastructure. Docker is particularly helpful for microservice architectures because their successful implementation relies on a fast, efficient deployment mechanism – which is precisely one of the features of Docker. Microservice architectures are therefore becoming more popular, and are increasingly seen as an interesting option even for smaller projects, instead of being...
Jan. 22, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 2,660
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 22, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 3,651