|By Debu Panda||
|December 11, 2012 09:03 AM EST||
In the last blog, I discussed the challenges with an APM 1.0 solution.
As an application owner or application support personnel, you want to
- Exceed service levels and avoid costly, reputation-damaging application failures through improved visibility into the end-user experience
- Ensure reliable, high-performing applications by detecting problems faster and prioritizing issues based on service levels and impacted users
- Improve time to market with new applications, features, and technologies, such as virtualization, acceleration, and cloud-based services
The APM 2.0 products enable you manage application performance leading with real user activity monitoring. Following are some of the top functionalities they provide that help you achieve your business objectives.
Visibility to real users and end-user driven diagnostics
- APM 2.0 solutions provide visibility to end-to-end application performance as experience by real end users and help application support to focus on critical issues affecting end-users.
The dashboard shown in Figure 1, as an example, provides visibility of application performance as experienced by users in real-time.
- As an application owner, you probably care about which users are impacted, what pages they are navigating and what kind of errors they are getting. You want your APM product to improve MTTR by identifying what is causing the latency issues or failure e.g. network, load balancer, ADN like Akamai, SSL or the application tier itself. Figure 2 shows a specific user session and what pages the user navigated and identified that the application tier is the cause.
- The “details” link in Figure 2 allows the application support personnel to drill down further which application tier is the culprit for the slow or failed transaction in context to the specific user. This allows the application support personnel to track end-user request to the line of the code.
Ease of use and superior time-to-value
You want to use a product that is simple to use for your application support / operation team.
- A modern APM solution does not require manual definition of instrumentation policies.
- It should not require manual changes such as Java script injection for visibility to the end user.
- APM 2.0 tools provide ability to drill down from end-user to deep-dive for diagnostics and drill up from deep-dive data to identify the impacted user and the context for the transaction without having to do a manual correlation, jumping between consoles.
- The agent install is typically a 5-10 mts process in the modern APM deep-dive tools.
- The APM 2.0 deep-dive solution provides automatic detection of application servers, business transactions, frameworks etc.
Figure 3 shows a specific user transaction request and latencies by tiers. It also shows the SQL and latencies information.
Suitable for production deployment
- The real user monitoring tool should be non-invasive in nature and it should put additional overhead on application response time.
- You should be able to deploy an always-on, deep-dive monitoring and diagnostic solution for your production enterprise and cloud-based applications.
- It should work in an agile environment without having to configure new instrumentation policies with application releases.
- It should scale for a large production deployment to 1000s of application servers that you want to manage in your production environment.
Operations Ready product and enables DevOps collaboration
The APM 1.0 products were originally built for developers and hence they were not very intuitive for operations use. The APM 2.0 products are operations friendly. Also you would expect some of those to enable DevOps collaboration for intelligent escalation to development.
- Most application support personnel do not understand what frameworks or application technologies used by an application. The majority deep-dive tools in the market move very fast from a transaction view to line of code thus being not providing much value to operations team.
For example, Figure 4 shows the transaction break-down by specific technologies used by the transaction. This also provides baselines for different tiers and the system resource usage along with tiers to make intelligent decision. Figure 3 shows an application flow map for a specific transaction and time spent in each SQL or a remote web service call without having to drill down to the line of code.
- There are many instances operations team need to escalate problems to developers. The tool should allow application support personnel to escalate to Tier 3/development for diagnostics by sending a direct link to the diagnostic instance. However in many organizations, developers do not have access to production environment and as shown in Figure 5, solution from BMC allows exporting the diagnostics data call tree with latency, parameters, etc in a HTML format.
Adaptive to virtualization and Cloud environment
The new APM 2.0 products are purpose-built and architected for cloud and virtualized environments.
- The APM 2.0 product components and agents are designed to communicate in a firewall-friendly protocol and can be encrypted / secured.
- They support virtualized and dynamic environment without causing a lot of false alerts.
- They support modern cloud frameworks and Big Data platforms such as Hadoop.
The APM 2.0 solution provides the functionalities that you need to manage your applications that will help exceed business expectations and increase customer loyalty. These tools provide capability to improve time to market. These provide you understanding how application performance affects user behavior — and how that behavior impacts the bottom line. You can leverage an APM 2.0 solutionlike BMC Application Performance Management to improve your application performance and thus meeting your business objectives.
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 27, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,651
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,753
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,592
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Sep. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,644
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Sep. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,379
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Sep. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,860
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,758
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 27, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,691
Large enterprises today are juggling an enormous variety of network equipment. Business users are asking for specific network throughput guarantees when it comes to their critical applications, legal departments require compliance with mandated regulatory frameworks, and operations are asked to do more with shrinking budgets. All these requirements do not easily align with existing network architectures; hence, network operators are continuously faced with a slew of granular parameter change req...
Sep. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 710
Monitoring of Docker environments is challenging. Why? Because each container typically runs a single process, has its own environment, utilizes virtual networks, or has various methods of managing storage. Traditional monitoring solutions take metrics from each server and applications they run. These servers and applications running on them are typically very static, with very long uptimes. Docker deployments are different: a set of containers may run many applications, all sharing the resource...
Sep. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,773
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of So...
Sep. 27, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,448
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said “No to LUNs.” With Tintri they mana...
Sep. 27, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,819
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 27, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,662
Whether they’re located in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment, cloud technologies are constantly evolving. While the innovation is exciting, the end mission of delivering business value and rapidly producing incremental product features is paramount. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Kiran Chitturi, CTO Architect at Sungard AS, will discuss DevOps culture, its evolution of frameworks and technologies, and how it is achieving maturity. He will also cover various st...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,780
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,219
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Sep. 27, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,563
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,076
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,528
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Sep. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,187
Much of the value of DevOps comes from a (renewed) focus on measurement, sharing, and continuous feedback loops. In increasingly complex DevOps workflows and environments, and especially in larger, regulated, or more crystallized organizations, these core concepts become even more critical. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Andi Mann, Chief Technology Advocate at Splunk, showed how, by focusing on 'metrics that matter,' you can provide objective, transparent, and meaningful f...
Sep. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,709