|By Debu Panda||
|December 11, 2012 09:03 AM EST||
In the last blog, I discussed the challenges with an APM 1.0 solution.
As an application owner or application support personnel, you want to
- Exceed service levels and avoid costly, reputation-damaging application failures through improved visibility into the end-user experience
- Ensure reliable, high-performing applications by detecting problems faster and prioritizing issues based on service levels and impacted users
- Improve time to market with new applications, features, and technologies, such as virtualization, acceleration, and cloud-based services
The APM 2.0 products enable you manage application performance leading with real user activity monitoring. Following are some of the top functionalities they provide that help you achieve your business objectives.
Visibility to real users and end-user driven diagnostics
- APM 2.0 solutions provide visibility to end-to-end application performance as experience by real end users and help application support to focus on critical issues affecting end-users.
The dashboard shown in Figure 1, as an example, provides visibility of application performance as experienced by users in real-time.
- As an application owner, you probably care about which users are impacted, what pages they are navigating and what kind of errors they are getting. You want your APM product to improve MTTR by identifying what is causing the latency issues or failure e.g. network, load balancer, ADN like Akamai, SSL or the application tier itself. Figure 2 shows a specific user session and what pages the user navigated and identified that the application tier is the cause.
- The “details” link in Figure 2 allows the application support personnel to drill down further which application tier is the culprit for the slow or failed transaction in context to the specific user. This allows the application support personnel to track end-user request to the line of the code.
Ease of use and superior time-to-value
You want to use a product that is simple to use for your application support / operation team.
- A modern APM solution does not require manual definition of instrumentation policies.
- It should not require manual changes such as Java script injection for visibility to the end user.
- APM 2.0 tools provide ability to drill down from end-user to deep-dive for diagnostics and drill up from deep-dive data to identify the impacted user and the context for the transaction without having to do a manual correlation, jumping between consoles.
- The agent install is typically a 5-10 mts process in the modern APM deep-dive tools.
- The APM 2.0 deep-dive solution provides automatic detection of application servers, business transactions, frameworks etc.
Figure 3 shows a specific user transaction request and latencies by tiers. It also shows the SQL and latencies information.
Suitable for production deployment
- The real user monitoring tool should be non-invasive in nature and it should put additional overhead on application response time.
- You should be able to deploy an always-on, deep-dive monitoring and diagnostic solution for your production enterprise and cloud-based applications.
- It should work in an agile environment without having to configure new instrumentation policies with application releases.
- It should scale for a large production deployment to 1000s of application servers that you want to manage in your production environment.
Operations Ready product and enables DevOps collaboration
The APM 1.0 products were originally built for developers and hence they were not very intuitive for operations use. The APM 2.0 products are operations friendly. Also you would expect some of those to enable DevOps collaboration for intelligent escalation to development.
- Most application support personnel do not understand what frameworks or application technologies used by an application. The majority deep-dive tools in the market move very fast from a transaction view to line of code thus being not providing much value to operations team.
For example, Figure 4 shows the transaction break-down by specific technologies used by the transaction. This also provides baselines for different tiers and the system resource usage along with tiers to make intelligent decision. Figure 3 shows an application flow map for a specific transaction and time spent in each SQL or a remote web service call without having to drill down to the line of code.
- There are many instances operations team need to escalate problems to developers. The tool should allow application support personnel to escalate to Tier 3/development for diagnostics by sending a direct link to the diagnostic instance. However in many organizations, developers do not have access to production environment and as shown in Figure 5, solution from BMC allows exporting the diagnostics data call tree with latency, parameters, etc in a HTML format.
Adaptive to virtualization and Cloud environment
The new APM 2.0 products are purpose-built and architected for cloud and virtualized environments.
- The APM 2.0 product components and agents are designed to communicate in a firewall-friendly protocol and can be encrypted / secured.
- They support virtualized and dynamic environment without causing a lot of false alerts.
- They support modern cloud frameworks and Big Data platforms such as Hadoop.
The APM 2.0 solution provides the functionalities that you need to manage your applications that will help exceed business expectations and increase customer loyalty. These tools provide capability to improve time to market. These provide you understanding how application performance affects user behavior — and how that behavior impacts the bottom line. You can leverage an APM 2.0 solutionlike BMC Application Performance Management to improve your application performance and thus meeting your business objectives.
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists will discuss how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations m...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,017
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Ras...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,980
One of the most frequently requested Rancher features, load balancers are used to distribute traffic between docker containers. Now Rancher users can configure, update and scale up an integrated load balancing service to meet their application needs, using either Rancher's UI or API. To implement our load balancing functionality we decided to use HAproxy, which is deployed as a contianer, and managed by the Rancher orchestration functionality. With Rancher's Load Balancing capability, users ...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,076
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,151
As we recently previewed (read more about our London PoP in Jesse's post), Blue Box is opening a new Data Center in London, but hadn't announced the provider. Today we're excited to partner with TelecityGroup, whom we've selected as our data center partner in London. We chose their Powergate location, which is one of the U.K.'s most advanced, flexible and energy efficient carrier-neutral data centres. Why does that matter to you? Well, when customers choose Blue Box, they're trusting us with ...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,352
How do you securely enable access to your applications in AWS without exposing any attack surfaces? The answer is usually very complicated because application environments morph over time in response to growing requirements from your employee base, your partners and your customers. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Haseeb Budhani, CEO and Co-founder of Soha, will share five common approaches that DevOps teams follow to secure access to applications deployed in AWS, Azure, etc., and the frict...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,636
Cloud Expo New York is happening from June 9 - 11. This event brings together the worlds of Cloud Computing, DevOps, IoT, WebRTC, Big Data and SDDC. We hope to see you there-members of the Blue Box team will exhibit in booth 218 next to the DevOps area. Plus, our Chief Product Officer, Hernan Alvarez, will present his talk "The Cloud Has a Down-and-Dirty Lining" as part of the Operations track in the DevOps Summit portion of the event on June 9 at 11 am. Learn more about his session her...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,500
As a company making software for Continuous Delivery and Devops at scale, at XebiaLabs we’re pretty much always in discussions with users about the benefits and challenges of new development styles, application architectures, and runtime platforms. Unsurprisingly, many of these discussions right now focus on microservices on the application side and containers and related frameworks […]
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,803
Financial services organizations were among the earliest enterprise adopters of cloud computing. The ability to leverage massive compute, storage and networking resources via RESTful APIs and automated tools like Chef and Puppet made it possible for their high-horsepower IT users to develop a whole new array of applications. Companies like Wells Fargo, Fidelity and BBVA are visible, vocal and engaged supporters of the OpenStack community, running production clouds for applications ranging from d...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,517
A few weeks ago, SmartBear hosted API Craft Boston with the folks from Akana, Ian Goldsmith and Laura Heritage, to talk about microservices. It was an extremely informative presentation of where microservices came from, what it solves, and considerations around how it might fit into an organizational API strategy. It’s one thing to read everyone else’s opinions on blogs, twitter, etc. It’s great to go to workshops and conferences, but this was so intelligently presented (and for a meetup too)...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 741
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? Join this panel of experts as they peel away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you’ll have no problem filling in your buzzword bingo cards.
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,191
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, ...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,346
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies, a global technology solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a leader in application performance and infrastructure management for commercial and federal markets. The company is headquartered in the United States, with a diverse and talented team of more than 350 employees around th...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,787
SYS-CON Events announced today Sematext Group, Inc., a Brooklyn-based Performance Monitoring and Log Management solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), search analytics (S...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,832
The stack is the hack, Jack. That's my takeaway from several events I attended over the past few weeks in Silicon Valley and Southeast Asia. I listened to and participated in discussions about everything from large datacenter management (think Facebook Open Compute) to enterprise-level cyberfraud (at a seminar in Manila attended by the US State Dept. and Philippine National Police) to the world of entrepreneurial startups, app deployment, and mobility (in a series of meetups and talks in bot...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,350
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,851
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microser...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,394
An explosive combination of technology trends will be where ‘microservices’ and the IoT Internet of Things intersect, a concept we can describe by comparing it with a previous theme, the ‘X Internet.' The idea of using small self-contained application components has been popular since XML Web services began and a distributed computing future of smart fridges and kettles was imagined long back in the early Internet years.
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,544
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborat...
Apr. 25, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,816