|By Debu Panda||
|December 11, 2012 09:03 AM EST||
In the last blog, I discussed the challenges with an APM 1.0 solution.
As an application owner or application support personnel, you want to
- Exceed service levels and avoid costly, reputation-damaging application failures through improved visibility into the end-user experience
- Ensure reliable, high-performing applications by detecting problems faster and prioritizing issues based on service levels and impacted users
- Improve time to market with new applications, features, and technologies, such as virtualization, acceleration, and cloud-based services
The APM 2.0 products enable you manage application performance leading with real user activity monitoring. Following are some of the top functionalities they provide that help you achieve your business objectives.
Visibility to real users and end-user driven diagnostics
- APM 2.0 solutions provide visibility to end-to-end application performance as experience by real end users and help application support to focus on critical issues affecting end-users.
The dashboard shown in Figure 1, as an example, provides visibility of application performance as experienced by users in real-time.
- As an application owner, you probably care about which users are impacted, what pages they are navigating and what kind of errors they are getting. You want your APM product to improve MTTR by identifying what is causing the latency issues or failure e.g. network, load balancer, ADN like Akamai, SSL or the application tier itself. Figure 2 shows a specific user session and what pages the user navigated and identified that the application tier is the cause.
- The “details” link in Figure 2 allows the application support personnel to drill down further which application tier is the culprit for the slow or failed transaction in context to the specific user. This allows the application support personnel to track end-user request to the line of the code.
Ease of use and superior time-to-value
You want to use a product that is simple to use for your application support / operation team.
- A modern APM solution does not require manual definition of instrumentation policies.
- It should not require manual changes such as Java script injection for visibility to the end user.
- APM 2.0 tools provide ability to drill down from end-user to deep-dive for diagnostics and drill up from deep-dive data to identify the impacted user and the context for the transaction without having to do a manual correlation, jumping between consoles.
- The agent install is typically a 5-10 mts process in the modern APM deep-dive tools.
- The APM 2.0 deep-dive solution provides automatic detection of application servers, business transactions, frameworks etc.
Figure 3 shows a specific user transaction request and latencies by tiers. It also shows the SQL and latencies information.
Suitable for production deployment
- The real user monitoring tool should be non-invasive in nature and it should put additional overhead on application response time.
- You should be able to deploy an always-on, deep-dive monitoring and diagnostic solution for your production enterprise and cloud-based applications.
- It should work in an agile environment without having to configure new instrumentation policies with application releases.
- It should scale for a large production deployment to 1000s of application servers that you want to manage in your production environment.
Operations Ready product and enables DevOps collaboration
The APM 1.0 products were originally built for developers and hence they were not very intuitive for operations use. The APM 2.0 products are operations friendly. Also you would expect some of those to enable DevOps collaboration for intelligent escalation to development.
- Most application support personnel do not understand what frameworks or application technologies used by an application. The majority deep-dive tools in the market move very fast from a transaction view to line of code thus being not providing much value to operations team.
For example, Figure 4 shows the transaction break-down by specific technologies used by the transaction. This also provides baselines for different tiers and the system resource usage along with tiers to make intelligent decision. Figure 3 shows an application flow map for a specific transaction and time spent in each SQL or a remote web service call without having to drill down to the line of code.
- There are many instances operations team need to escalate problems to developers. The tool should allow application support personnel to escalate to Tier 3/development for diagnostics by sending a direct link to the diagnostic instance. However in many organizations, developers do not have access to production environment and as shown in Figure 5, solution from BMC allows exporting the diagnostics data call tree with latency, parameters, etc in a HTML format.
Adaptive to virtualization and Cloud environment
The new APM 2.0 products are purpose-built and architected for cloud and virtualized environments.
- The APM 2.0 product components and agents are designed to communicate in a firewall-friendly protocol and can be encrypted / secured.
- They support virtualized and dynamic environment without causing a lot of false alerts.
- They support modern cloud frameworks and Big Data platforms such as Hadoop.
The APM 2.0 solution provides the functionalities that you need to manage your applications that will help exceed business expectations and increase customer loyalty. These tools provide capability to improve time to market. These provide you understanding how application performance affects user behavior — and how that behavior impacts the bottom line. You can leverage an APM 2.0 solutionlike BMC Application Performance Management to improve your application performance and thus meeting your business objectives.
Cloud promises the agility required by today’s digital businesses. As organizations adopt cloud based infrastructures and services, their IT resources become increasingly dynamic and hybrid in nature. Managing these require modern IT operations and tools. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Raj Sundaram, Senior Principal Product Manager at CA Technologies, will discuss how to modernize your IT operations in order to proactively manage your hybrid cloud and IT environments. He will be sharing be...
Apr. 28, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 804
This recent research on cloud computing from the Register delves a little deeper than many of the "We're all adopting cloud!" surveys we've seen. They found that meaningful cloud adoption and the idea of the cloud-first enterprise are still not reality for many businesses. The Register's stats also show a more gradual cloud deployment trend over the past five years, not any sort of explosion. One important takeaway is that coherence across internal and external clouds is essential for IT right n...
Apr. 28, 2017 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,830
Back in February of 2017, Andrew Clay Schafer of Pivotal tweeted the following: “seriously tho, the whole software industry is stuck on deployment when we desperately need architecture and telemetry.” Intrigue in a 140 characters. For me, I hear Andrew saying, “we’re jumping to step 5 before we’ve successfully completed steps 1-4.”
Apr. 28, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,893
A Man in the Middle attack, or MITM, is a situation wherein a malicious entity can read/write data that is being transmitted between two or more systems (in most cases, between you and the website that you are surfing). MITMs are common in China, thanks to the “Great Cannon.” The “Great Cannon” is slightly different from the “The Great Firewall.” The firewall monitors web traffic moving in and out of China and blocks prohibited content. The Great Cannon, on the other hand, acts as a man in the...
Apr. 28, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 403
When you decide to launch a startup company, business advisors, counselors, bankers and armchair know-it-alls will tell you that the first thing you need to do is get funding. While there is some validity to that boilerplate piece of wisdom, the availability of and need for startup funding has gone through a dramatic transformation over the past decade, and the next few years will see even more of a shift. A perfect storm of events is causing this seismic shift. On the macroeconomic side this ...
Apr. 28, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 514
Enterprise architects are increasingly adopting multi-cloud strategies as they seek to utilize existing data center assets, leverage the advantages of cloud computing and avoid cloud vendor lock-in. This requires a globally aware traffic management strategy that can monitor infrastructure health across data centers and end-user experience globally, while responding to control changes and system specification at the speed of today’s DevOps teams. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Josh Gray, Chie...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,453
In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Scott Davis, CTO of Embotics, will discuss how automation can provide the dynamic management required to cost-effectively deliver microservices and container solutions at scale. He will discuss how flexible automation is the key to effectively bridging and seamlessly coordinating both IT and developer needs for component orchestration across disparate clouds – an increasingly important requirement at today’s multi-cloud enterprise.
Apr. 28, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,448
To more closely examine the variety of ways in which IT departments around the world are integrating cloud services, and the effect hybrid IT has had on their organizations and IT job roles, SolarWinds recently released the SolarWinds IT Trends Report 2017: Portrait of a Hybrid Organization. This annual study consists of survey-based research that explores significant trends, developments, and movements related to and directly affecting IT and IT professionals.
Apr. 28, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,816
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Apr. 28, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,108
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 28, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,307
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,715
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Apr. 27, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 7,359
In large enterprises, environment provisioning and server provisioning account for a significant portion of the operations team's time. This often leaves users frustrated while they wait for these services. For instance, server provisioning can take several days and sometimes even weeks. At the same time, digital transformation means the need for server and environment provisioning is constantly growing. Organizations are adopting agile methodologies and software teams are increasing the speed ...
Apr. 27, 2017 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,443
Is your application too difficult to manage? Do changes take dozens of developers hundreds of hours to execute, and frequently result in downtime across all your site’s functions? It sounds like you have a monolith! A monolith is one of the three main software architectures that define most applications. Whether you’ve intentionally set out to create a monolith or not, it’s worth at least weighing the pros and cons of the different architectural approaches and deciding which one makes the most s...
Apr. 27, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,866
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 27, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,619
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Apr. 27, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 6,144
Software as a service (SaaS), one of the earliest and most successful cloud services, has reached mainstream status. According to Cisco, by 2019 more than four-fifths (83 percent) of all data center traffic will be based in the cloud, up from 65 percent today. The majority of this traffic will be applications. Businesses of all sizes are adopting a variety of SaaS-based services – everything from collaboration tools to mission-critical commerce-oriented applications. The rise in SaaS usage has m...
Apr. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,970
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, drew upon his own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He also discussed the implementation of microservices in data and application integrat...
Apr. 22, 2017 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 6,341
We'd all like to fulfill that "find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" cliché. But in reality, every job (even if it's our dream job) comes with its downsides. For you, the constant fight against shadow IT might get on your last nerves. For your developer coworkers, infrastructure management is the roadblock that stands in the way of focusing on coding. As you watch more and more applications and processes move to the cloud, technology is coming to developers' rescue-most r...
Apr. 22, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,170
2016 has been an amazing year for Docker and the container industry. We had 3 major releases of Docker engine this year , and tremendous increase in usage. The community has been following along and contributing amazing Docker resources to help you learn and get hands-on experience. Here’s some of the top read and viewed content for the year. Of course releases are always really popular, particularly when they fit requests we had from the community.
Apr. 22, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,687