|By PR Newswire||
|November 17, 2012 02:04 PM EST||
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Nov.17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Working through this weekend, Verizon employees continue to make solid progress restoring voice, data, Internet and TV services for consumers, businesses and government clients in New Jersey, Long Island, New York City and other parts of the New York metropolitan area.
To date, the repair crews have completed 433,000 post-Sandy repairs across the company's Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions, and more than 1.6 million customers affected by power outages have had their FiOS services restored.
(NOTE: To view or embed videos of Verizon's restoral and community outreach efforts after Hurricane Sandy, visit the video catalog at http://vz.to/sandyvideos.)
Restoration and Redeployment:
- Verizon employees continue to work round-the-clock to restore voice, data, Internet and TV service to thousands of customers daily.
- The company continues to bolster its work force in New Jersey, Long Island and the New York City area. Early Saturday morning (Nov. 17), a contingent of Verizon technicians from the Tampa, Fla. area left to work for the next several weeks on Long Island. They're joining employees from Virginia to Massachusetts in the massive restoral effort in the most-affected areas, replacing poles and restringing cables, and bringing back service for customers.
- The company has extended call-center hours and employee work shifts to better meet customers' service needs.
- Verizon continues to coordinate with commercial power companies and local authorities in New York and New Jersey to resolve restoral challenges caused by downed power lines, trees and other debris. For example, Verizon repair managers established a process to proactively communicate with local officials in dozens of the hardest-hit communities in the two states to identify issues and to ensure efficient and effective coordination of service restoral with power companies.
- Even in areas where power has been restored to key facilities and customers' homes or businesses, Verizon may need to repair or replace damaged equipment – such as flooded electronics in switching offices, and broken poles and downed lines in neighborhoods – to bring back service for customers.
- At its communications hubs at 140 West St. and 104 Broad St. in lower Manhattan, Verizon is using the latest technologies, such as infrared cameras, to detect damage and to repair and restore the cable vaults in those locations. (NOTE: Click here to view The Verge's in-depth video and photo report on our restoral efforts in lower Manhattan. [Video courtesy of The Verge / Vox Media])
Customer Care, Repairs and Replacements:
- Verizon is providing credits for landline customers who have reported an out-of-service condition related to Hurricane Sandy.
- Customers may suspend their Verizon landline services free of charge if they're currently unable to live in their home or operate their small business as a result of Sandy.
- Verizon technical support will help customers determine if their equipment such as set-top boxes or home broadband routers is operable or needs replacement. Troubleshooting tips are also available for customers at www.verizon.com/outage.
- The company will repair or replace any consumer or small-business Verizon equipment damaged by Sandy, without charge. This includes FiOS set-top boxes, FiOS broadband routers, optical network terminals and High Speed Internet (DSL) broadband routers.
Supporting Emergency Responders and Communities:
- Many Verizon FiOS and Verizon Wireless stores in the region are offering people without power the ability to charge their wireless devices. To find a nearby store, visit http://vz.to/charge. People should bring their own device chargers and call a store first to ensure it's open.
- Verizon's emergency fleet of vehicles and self-contained emergency inflatable-air shelters continues to assist public-safety and disaster-recovery organizations in parts of New York and New Jersey. These mobile stations provide organizations with communications, Internet and video capabilities in particularly hard-hit areas where such services may not currently be available. In addition, the Verizon vehicle at 92-24 Rockaway Beach in Queens is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for free calls, device charging and Internet access. Also, Verizon customers can speak with company representatives about their Verizon communications services at a mobile office trailer located in Nickerson Park (880 Lido Blvd.) in Lido Beach, Nassau County.
- Verizon employees, Verizon Wireless customers and the Verizon Foundation have pledged nearly $6 million to date to support Hurricane Sandy relief and rebuilding efforts. Customers can still make a $10 donation by texting REDCROSS to 90999, and those who would like to give more can donate up to $50 via text. In addition, more than 7,200 Verizon employees have donated to the American Red Cross and Salvation Army through the Verizon Foundation's matching gifts program; the foundation has matched those donations two-for-one. For more on the Verizon Foundation's Sandy support, click here.
Customers can contact Verizon online at www.verizon.com/outage to report any wireline service-related issues; or call 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966). Please note that hold times will be longer than normal due to higher calling volumes. For prior Hurricane Sandy updates, click here.
For more information on Verizon Wireless efforts related to Hurricane Sandy, visit the Emergency Information Center.
Verizon Enterprise Solutions updates are available at www.verizonbusiness.com/info/hurricane.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with nearly 96 million retail customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $111 billion in 2011 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 184,500. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by email, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.
DevOps approaches within “Unicorns” vary significantly from the reality of DevOps in the enterprise. Most enterprises manage portfolios of heterogeneous applications that are increasingly interconnected, delivered by global teams, at various stages of technology maturity, and are often encumbered by additional compliance and governance obligations. In his session at DevOps Summit, Dalibor Siroky, Director and co-founder at Plutora, will discuss the emerging and evolving experiences of Agile, Co...
May. 6, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 650
It's a "given" in software development - release schedules always slip. Requirements shift, developers underestimate timelines, and quality assurance (QA) finds unexpected defects. Another law of software development is that final release dates are often inflexible. If a market or a holiday shopping season defines your release date you understand how important it is to meet a fixed timeline. Once you've promised a release to the business at the end of the quarter, you are under pressure to de...
May. 6, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 609
Here are a few questions to help you assess the scope of your release management challenges. Based on the answers to these questions, you can calculate your Release Management risk factor. This will help you understand what steps you need to take today to mitigate release management risks that accompany software development at scale. These 100 people don't have to be in a single group and the systems maintained don't have to be limited to a single group. Also, note that the systems supported...
May. 6, 2015 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 690
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
May. 6, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 967
Lacking the traditional fanfare associated with any technology that can use the word "container" or mention "Docker" in its press release, Ubuntu Core and its new Snappy system management scheme was introduced late last year. Since then, it's been gaining steam with Microsoft and Amazon and Google announcing support for the stripped-down version of the operating system. Ubuntu Core is what's being called a "micro-OS"; a stripped down, lean container-supporting machine that's becoming more pop...
May. 6, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,146
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises a...
May. 6, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 854
Cloud computing seems destined to be the way enterprises will use information technology. The drastic cost reductions and impressive operational improvements make the transition an unstoppable trend. The “What is cloud computing?” question now, however, seems to be morphing into “Where is cloud computing going?” While software-as-a-service (SaaS) providers see their market rocketing upward as the easiest and quickest path for cloud adoption, infrastructure-as-a-service providers are suffering...
May. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,047
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
May. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 954
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
May. 6, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,538
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
May. 6, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,032
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on T...
May. 6, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,004
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
May. 6, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,483
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immed...
May. 6, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,902
There are 182 billion emails sent every day, generating a lot of data about how recipients and ISPs respond. Many marketers take a more-is-better approach to stats, preferring to have the ability to slice and dice their email lists based numerous arbitrary stats. However, fundamentally what really matters is whether or not sending an email to a particular recipient will generate value. Data Scientists can design high-level insights such as engagement prediction models and content clusters that a...
May. 6, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,582
The cloud has transformed how we think about software quality. Instead of preventing failures, we must focus on automatic recovery from failure. In other words, resilience trumps traditional quality measures. Continuous delivery models further squeeze traditional notions of quality. Remember the venerable project management Iron Triangle? Among time, scope, and cost, you can only fix two or quality will suffer. Only in today's DevOps world, continuous testing, integration, and deployment upend...
May. 6, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,554
It was just two years ago, in March of 2013, that the PaaS company dotCloud decided to open-source its container technology under the name "Docker." Docker quickly became a hit, with Docker Meetups spawning weekly worldwide and downloads occurring at record-breaking rates. The dotCloud team quickly changed direction, renamed the company "Docker," and brought in new CEO Ben Golub in July 2013 to lead the new business model. At the time, Docker was about a twenty-person company. Fast-forward to to...
May. 6, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,067
Chuck Piluso will present a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. Speaker Bio: Prior to Secure Infrastructure and Services, Mr. Piluso founded North American Telecommunication Corporation, a facilities-based Competitive Local Exchange Carrier licensed by the Public Service Commission in 10 states, serving as the company's chairman and president from 1997 to 2000. Between 1990 and 1997, Mr. Piluso served as chairman & founder...
May. 6, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 947
To manage complex web services with lots of calls to the cloud, many businesses have invested in Application Performance Management (APM) and Network Performance Management (NPM) tools. Together APM and NPM tools are essential aids in improving a business's infrastructure required to support an effective web experience... but they are missing a critical component - Internet visibility. Internet connectivity has always played a role in customer access to web presence, but in the past few years u...
May. 6, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,530
2015 is the 10th birthday of Ruby on Rails (or simply called Rails), the popular open source web application framework that uses the Ruby programming language. Ever since Rails burst on the scene a decade ago it has continued to scale up as an elegant way to build dynamic websites quickly and efficiently. Rails has garnered a strong following, especially among tech startups. In fact, some of the best known firms out there are using the framework to build their sites. Examples of elegant sites bu...
May. 6, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,386
Working with Big Data is challenging, especially when decision makers depend on market insights and intelligence from your data but don't have quick access to it or find it unusable. In their session at 6th Big Data Expo, Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia; Zel Bianco, President, CEO and Co-Founder of Interactive Edge of Solgenia; and Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder at Solgenia, discussed how a revolutionary cloud-based BI along with mobile analytics is already c...
May. 6, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,721