|By Dana Gardner||
|July 20, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
The uncharted territory of user behavior data based on what users do in such web walled gardens as Facebook was the focus of a "tweet jam" last week organized by The Open Group.
Some of the many notable participants in the tweet jam around the hash tag #ogChat on July 11 worried about the prospect of misuse of the user identity and behavior data, but were more mixed about what to do about it. I was the moderator of the tweet jam. [Disclosure: The Open Group is a sponsor of BriefingsDirect podcasts.]
With hundreds of tweets flying at break-neck pace, yesterday's #ogChat saw a very spirited discussion on the Internet's movement toward a walled garden model. In case you missed the conversation, you're now in luck! Here's a re-cap of yesterday's #ogChat:
The full list of participants included:
- Naomi Caietti, Administrative Office of the Courts Department of Business Oversight (@califgirl232)
- Charlene Li, Altimeter Group (@charleneli)
- Alan Webber, Altimeter Group (@AlanWebber)
- Ger Driesen, Challenge Stratching Talent (@gerdriesen)
- Sunil Gupta, Cognizant Business Operations (@SunilKGupta1)
- Chris Reyes, Dell (@subreyes94)
- Carlos Arturo Quiroga, IBM (@colaborative_IT)
- Allan Pratt, Infosec Island (@Tips4Tech)
- Indy Mitra, International Institute of Business Analysis (@MitraIndy)
- Jay Cross, Internet Time Lab (@jaycross)
- Gilbert Pilz, Oracle (@gilbert_pilz)
- Fahmida Rashid, PC Magazine (@zdFYRashid)
- Tony Bradley, PC World (@TheTonyBradley)
- Jim Hietala, The Open Group (@jim_hietala)
- Dave Lounsbury, The Open Group (@technodad)
- John Fontana, ZDNet - Identity Matters (@johnfontana)
- Dana Gardner, ZDNet - BriefingsDirect (@dana_gardner)
Here is a high-level a snapshot of yesterday's #ogChat:
Shift from open Internet
Q1 In the context of #WWW, why has there been a shift from the open Internet to portals, apps and walled environs? #ogChat
Participants generally agreed that the impetus behind the walled garden trend was led by two factors: companies and developers wanting more control, and a desire by users to feel "safer."
- @charleneli: Q1 Peeps & developers like order, structure, certainty. Control can provide that. But too much and they leave. #ogChat.
- @Technodad: User info & contributions are raw material of walled sites-"If you're not paying for the service, the product being sold is you". #ogChat
- @Dana_Gardner: @JohnFontana What about the meta data that they can own by registering you? #ogChat
- @AlanWebber #ogChat Q1 - People feel safer inside the "Walls" but don't realize what they are losing
Q2 How has this trend affected privacy/control? Do users have enough control over their IDs/content within #walledgarden networks? #ogChat
This was a hot topic as participants debated the tradeoffs between great content and privacy controls. Questions of where data was used and leaked to also emerged, as walled gardens are known to have backdoors.
- @TheTonyBradley: Q2 -- Yes and no. Users have more control than they're aware of, but for many its too complex and cumbersome to manage properly.#ogchat
- @zdFYRashid: Q2 users assume that #walledgarden means nothing leaves, so they think privacy is implied. They don't realize that isn't the case#ogchat
- @JohnFontana: Q2 Notion is wall and gate is at the front of garden where users enter. It's the back that is open and leaking their data #ogchat
- @subreyes94: #ogchat .@DanaGardner More walls coming down through integration. FB and Twitter are becoming de facto login credentials for other sites
Social and mobile
Q3 What has been the role of social and #mobile in developing #walledgardens? Have they accelerated this trend? #ogChat
Everyone agreed that social and mobile catalyzed the formation of walled garden networks. Many also gave a nod to location as a nascent driver.
- @jaycross: Q3 Mobile adds your location to potential violations of privacy. It's like being under surveillance. Not very far along yet. #ogChat
- @charleneli: Q3: Mobile apps make it easier to access, reinforcing behavior. But also enables new connections a la Zynga that can escape #ogChat
- @subreyes94: #ogChatQ3 They have accelerated the always-inside the club. The walls have risen to keep info inside not keep people out.
Q4 Can people use the internet today without joining a walled garden network? What does this say about the current web? #ogChat
There were a lot of parallels drawn between real and virtual worlds. It was interesting to see that walled gardens provided a sense of exclusivity that human seek out by nature. It was also interesting to see a generational gap emerge as many participants cited their parents as not being a part of a walled garden network.
- @TheTonyBradley: Q4 -- You can, the question is "would you want to?" You can still shop Amazon or get directions from Mapquest. #ogchat
- @zdFYRashid: Q4 people can use the internet without joining a walled garden, but they don't want to play where no one is. #ogchat
- @Dana_Gardner: Q4 What of pay walls from such media sites as the #WSJ and #NYT? Premium content needs walls to survive, no? #ogChat
- @JohnFontana: Q4 I believe we are headed to a time when people will buy back their anonymity. That is the next social biz. #ogchat
Q5 Is there any way to reconcile the ideals of the early web with the need for companies to own information about users? #ogChat
While walled gardens have started to emerge, the consumerization of the Internet and social media has really driven user participation and empowered users to create content within these walled gardens.
- @JohnFontana: Q5 - It is going to take identity, personal data lockers, etc. to reconcile the two. Wall-garden greed heads can't police themselves#ogchat
- @charleneli:Q5: Early Web optimism was less about being open more about participation. B4 you needed to know HTML. Now it's fill in a box. #ogChat
- @Dana_Gardner: Q5 Early web was more a one-way street, info to a user. Now it's a mix-master of social goo. No one knows what the goo is, tho. #ogChat
- @AlanWebber: Q5, Once there are too many walls, people will begin to look on to the next (virtual) world. Happening already #ogChat
Q6 What #Web2.0 lessons learned should be implemented into the next iteration of the web? How to fix this? #ogChat
Identity was the most common topic with the sixth and final question. Single sign-on, personal identities on mobile phones/passports and privacy seemed to be the biggest issues facing the next iteration of the web.
- @Technodad: Q6 Common identity is a key - need portable, mutually-recognized IDs that can be used for access control of shared info. #ogChat
- @JohnFontana: Q6 Users want to be digital. Give them ways to do that safely and privately if so desired. #ogChat
- @Technodad:Q6 If you're ID is under sole control of #walledgarden provider, you're stuck with their policies, business model.#ogchat
Thank you to all the participants who made this such a great discussion!
Incidentally, the model of a tweet jam or tweet up on IT subjects of interest is a great way to gather insights and make a social splash too. This #ogChat was a top tracking subject under Twitter during and after the online event. I'd be happy to do more of these as a moderator or participant on a subject near and dear to you and your community.
You may also be interested in:
- Corporate Data, Supply Chains Remain Vulnerable to Cyber Crime Attacks Says Open Group Conference Speaker
- Open Group Conference Speakers Discuss the Cloud: Higher Risk or Better Security?
- Capgemini's CTO on Why Cloud Computing Exposes the Duality Between IT and Business
- San Francisco Conference observations: Enterprise transformation, enterprise architecture, SOA and a splash of cloud computing
- MIT's Ross on how enterprise architecture and IT more than ever lead to business transformation
- Overlapping criminal and state threats pose growing cyber security threat to global Internet commerce, says Open Group speaker
- Enterprise architects play key role in transformation, data analytics value -- but they need to act fast, say Open Group speakers
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 27, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,148
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,183
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,315
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,090
The initial debate is over: Any enterprise with a serious commitment to IT is migrating to the cloud. But things are not so simple. There is a complex mix of on-premises, colocated, and public-cloud deployments. In this power panel at 18th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the present state of cloud from the C-level view, and how great companies and rock star executives can use cloud computing to meet their most ambitious and disruptive business ...
May. 27, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,177
Agile teams report the lowest rate of measuring non-functional requirements. What does this mean for the evolution of quality in this era of Continuous Everything? To explore how the rise of SDLC acceleration trends such as Agile, DevOps, and Continuous Delivery are impacting software quality, Parasoft conducted a survey about measuring and monitoring non-functional requirements (NFRs). Here's a glimpse at what we discovered and what it means for the evolution of quality in this era of Continuo...
May. 27, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,540
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's [email protected] at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, high-productivity enterprise web applications for any device. SmartClient couples the industry’s broadest, deepest UI component set with a java server framework to deliver an end-...
May. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,108
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
May. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,425
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,367
You might already know them from theagileadmin.com, but let me introduce you to two of the leading minds in the Rugged DevOps movement: James Wickett and Ernest Mueller. Both James and Ernest are active leaders in the DevOps space, in addition to helping organize events such as DevOpsDays Austinand LASCON. Our conversation covered a lot of bases from the founding of Rugged DevOps to aligning organizational silos to lessons learned from W. Edwards Demings.
May. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,417
Application development and delivery methods have undergone radical changes in recent years to improve scalability and resiliency. Container images are the new build and deployment artifacts that are used to ship and run software. While startups have long been comfortable experimenting with and embracing new technologies, even large enterprises are now re-architecting their software systems so that they can benefit from container-enabled micro services architectures. With the launch of DC/OS, w...
May. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,443
In the rush to compete in the digital age, a successful digital transformation is essential, but many organizations are setting themselves up for failure. There’s a common misconception that the process is just about technology, but it’s not. It’s about your business. It shouldn’t be treated as an isolated IT project; it should be driven by business needs with the committed involvement of a range of stakeholders.
May. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,432
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,120
Earlier this week, we hosted a Continuous Discussion (#c9d9) on Continuous Delivery (CD) automation and orchestration, featuring expert panelists Dondee Tan, Test Architect at Alaska Air, Taco Bakker, a LEAN Six Sigma black belt focusing on CD, and our own Sam Fell and Anders Wallgren. During this episode, we discussed the differences between CD automation and orchestration, their challenges with setting up CD pipelines and some of the common chokepoints, as well as some best practices and tips...
May. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,353
When I talk about driving innovation with self-organizing teams, I emphasize that such self-organization includes expecting the participants to organize their own teams, give themselves their own goals, and determine for themselves how to measure their success. In contrast, the definition of skunkworks points out that members of such teams are “usually specially selected.” Good thing he added the word usually – because specially selecting such teams throws a wrench in the entire works, limiting...
May. 27, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,535
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,133
Automation is a critical component of DevOps and Continuous Delivery. This morning on #c9d9 we discussed CD Automation and how you can apply Automation to accelerate release cycles, improve quality, safety and governance? What is the difference between Automation and Orchestration? Where should you begin your journey to introduce both?
May. 27, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,377
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,976
As AT&Ts VP of Domain 2.0 architecture writes one aspect of their Domain 2.0 strategy is a goal to embrace a Microservices Application Architecture. One page 9 they describe how these envisage them fitting into the ECOMP architecture: "The initial steps of the recipes include a homing and placement task using constraints specified in the requests. ‘Homing and Placement' are micro-services involving orchestration, inventory, and controllers responsible for infrastructure, network, and applicati...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,784
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,745