|By Robert Eve||
|August 23, 2011 09:00 AM EDT||
Discovering new upstream sources, smoothly delivering products through downstream distribution channels, and complying with extensive regulations are keys to success in the energy business. And information is the fuel that enables these successes.
Unfortunately prior IT investments have resulted in numerous data silos and significant complexity that is making it harder than ever to turn information into business success.
Four of the top five global energy companies rely on data virtualization to provide the diverse information required across a range of strategic initiatives and business-critical IT projects.
Here is how.
Data Virtualization at Work in Energy Companies
Data virtualization use by energy companies is extensive. Here are but a few of the use cases these innovative IT organizations have deployed:
- Well Maintenance and Repair - Keeping wells up and pumping drives revenue. When wells go down, getting the right repair rigs and teams on site fast is critical. To allocate these scarce resources optimally, requires dispatchers and triage teams have real-time access to repair rig status, staffing availability, best practice procedures, maintenance records, flow rates, and more. Data virtualization accesses and combines this diverse data so the oil and gas keep flowing.
- Regulatory Reporting - The energy industry is one of the most highly regulated industries today. EPA, OSHA, DOT, and many other federal and state agencies require hundreds of compliance reports. Because internal systems have been optimized for operations, not compliance, integrating the data needed from across these systems is often the biggest component in your compliance reporting costs. Data virtualization quickly and easily federates diverse data from across operational systems, while leaving operating data in place to avoid the extra costs that result from unnecessary data replication.
- Research and Development - Effective R&D pipeline management is the key to expanding energy sources, enhancing recovery and yield, and reducing costs in the energy business. Currently, most research project information resides is multiple systems. Managers have to access these separate systems to extract, compile, and assemble reports from multiple laboratory operations in order to keep up. Data virtualization offers easier access and visibility across the entire R&D process.
- Human Resource Management - The shortage of skilled petroleum engineers, roustabouts, geologists, and others continues to worsen. Attracting, developing and retaining a highly skilled professional workforce has become a top priority. Information is critical including skills development, legal and regulatory mandates, and demographic shifts in workforce composition. Data virtualization easily integrates all this data to maximize the work force.
- Sales Management - Sales managers need up-to-the-minute information at their fingertips to increase revenue and drive sales productivity. The costs associated with lost opportunities or problems left unresolved are significant. Answers to questions such as am I tracking to make my numbers this month, what are the hot products, how is my customer satisfaction, where can I get additional sales, and more are constantly being asked each day. While this information resides in multiple silos, you need what you need, no matter where it resides. Data virtualization can bring that information to sales leaders so they can hit revenue objectives.
Data Virtualization Pays Off!
Data virtualization is a more agile, lower cost data integration approach that successfully addresses complex upstream and downstream data silos and delivers significant business benefits including:
- Increase Revenues - Maximize output from wells and refineries
- Improve Productivity - Ensure engineers, analysts and manager have all the information they require
- Reduce Costs - Avoid long data integration development cycles and excess data replication
- Decrease Risk - Improve visibility across upstream, downstream and back-office operations
- Ensure Compliance - Meet DOE, EPA, DOT, OSHA and EU compliance data requirements faster, for less
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Apr. 30, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,442
With DevOps becoming more well-known and established practice in nearly every industry that delivers software, it is important to continually reassess its efficacy. This week’s top 10 includes a discussion on how the quick uptake of DevOps adoption in the enterprise has posed some serious challenges. Additionally, organizations who have taken the DevOps plunge must find ways to find, hire and keep their DevOps talent in order to keep the machine running smoothly.
Apr. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,358
Call it DevOps or not, if you are concerned about releasing more code faster and at a higher quality, the resulting software delivery chain and process will look and smell like DevOps. But for existing development teams, no matter what the velocity objective is, getting from here to there is not something that can be done without a plan. Moving your release cadence from months to weeks is not just about learning Agile practices and getting some automation tools. It involves people, tooling and ...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,469
Between the mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Charles Kendrick, CTO & Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how business and devel...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,712
The notion of customer journeys, of course, are central to the digital marketer’s playbook. Clearly, enterprises should focus their digital efforts on such journeys, as they represent customer interactions over time. But making customer journeys the centerpiece of the enterprise architecture, however, leaves more questions than answers. The challenge arises when EAs consider the context of the customer journey in the overall architecture as well as the architectural elements that make up each...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,924
Much of the discussion around cloud DevOps focuses on the speed with which companies need to get new code into production. This focus is important – because in an increasingly digital marketplace, new code enables new value propositions. New code is also often essential for maintaining competitive parity with market innovators. But new code doesn’t just have to deliver the functionality the business requires. It also has to behave well because the behavior of code in the cloud affects performan...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,329
APIs have taken the world by storm in recent years. The use of APIs has gone beyond just traditional "software" companies, to companies and organizations across industries using APIs to share information and power their applications. For some organizations, APIs are the biggest revenue drivers. For example, Salesforce generates nearly 50% of annual revenue through APIs. In other cases, APIs can increase a business's footprint and initiate collaboration. Netflix, for example, reported over 5 bi...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,552
As the software delivery industry continues to evolve and mature, the challenge of managing the growing list of the tools and processes becomes more daunting every day. Today, Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) platforms are proving most valuable by providing the governance, management and coordination for every stage of development, deployment and release. Recently, I spoke with Madison Moore at SD Times about the changing market and where ALM is headed.
Apr. 29, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,419
If there is anything we have learned by now, is that every business paves their own unique path for releasing software- every pipeline, implementation and practices are a bit different, and DevOps comes in all shapes and sizes. Software delivery practices are often comprised of set of several complementing (or even competing) methodologies – such as leveraging Agile, DevOps and even a mix of ITIL, to create the combination that’s most suitable for your organization and that maximize your busines...
Apr. 29, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,752
Struggling to keep up with increasing application demand? Learn how Platform as a Service (PaaS) can streamline application development processes and make resource management easy.
Apr. 29, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,021
New Relic, Inc. has announced a set of new features across the New Relic Software Analytics Cloud that offer IT operations teams increased visibility, and the ability to diagnose and resolve performance problems quickly. The new features further IT operations teams’ ability to leverage data and analytics, as well as drive collaboration and a common, shared understanding between teams. Software teams are under pressure to resolve performance issues quickly and improve availability, as the comple...
Apr. 29, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,411
The goal of any tech business worth its salt is to provide the best product or service to its clients in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible. This is just as true in the development of software products as it is in other product design services. Microservices, an app architecture style that leans mostly on independent, self-contained programs, are quickly becoming the new norm, so to speak. With this change comes a declining reliance on older SOAs like COBRA, a push toward more s...
Apr. 29, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,273
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, will draw upon their own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He will also discuss the implementation of microservices in data and applicat...
Apr. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,702
Join IBM June 8 at 18th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and learn how to innovate like a startup and scale for the enterprise. You need to deliver quality applications faster and cheaper, attract and retain customers with an engaging experience across devices, and seamlessly integrate your enterprise systems. And you can't take 12 months to do it.
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,674
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,498
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 29, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,243
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,428
Digital means customer preferences and behavior are driving enterprise technology decisions to be sure, but let’s not forget our employees. After all, when we say customer, we mean customer writ large, including partners, supply chain participants, and yes, those salaried denizens whose daily labor forms the cornerstone of the enterprise. While your customers bask in the warm rays of your digital efforts, are your employees toiling away in the dark recesses of your enterprise, pecking data into...
Apr. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 932
These days I mostly make my living as a consultant. Consultants in general are probably not the best loved group in the world. It is common to think of consultants wafting-in to your organization, telling you things that you already know and advising you to “change your culture”, whatever that means. Subsequently they depart, no-doubt with a fat fee, and leave you as you were before with the same problems and no progress made.
Apr. 28, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,447