|By Robert Eve||
|July 5, 2011 05:15 AM EDT||
In the life sciences industry, the latest blockbuster drug or device can mean billions in revenue.
But developing these new offerings often takes ten or more years.
Moving ahead a year or two can be worth hundreds of millions.
The question is how?
Data, Data, Data
Data is the life blood of new product development. Research findings, clinical trial results, manufacturing process validation, and more are information-intensive activities where each new data point can result in a major shift in plans and timing.
To accelerate time to market in this data rich environment, life science R&D teams look to IT.
Unfortunately, IT is not always well equipped to meet this challenge. The problem is not a lack of data. The problem is a lack of data integration agility.
Most life sciences companies have made significant investments in their data. These investments have resulted in data silos and complexity which slow down their ability to respond to new information requests. To overcome these silos, life sciences companies are seeking new ways to integrate their new product development data.
How Data Virtualization Helps
Data virtualization has been adopted by the vast majority of pharmaceutical vendors and has recently seen increasing acceptance at medical device makers. Use of data virtualization to integrate product development data has been the primary use case. The reasons are several:
- Gaining Timely Insight – Up-to-the-minute data is critical throughout every stage in the new product cycle. Data virtualization provides query optimization algorithms and techniques that deliver timely information whenever needed.
- Seeing the Complete Picture – Multiple types of data from multiple sources must be combined to provide researchers, analysts, and managers with the full picture thata effective decision making requires. Data virtualization provides data federation that virtually integrates multiple data sources data in memory, without the cost and overhead of physical data consolidation in data warehouses.
- Controlling Data Proliferation – Identifying and understanding data assets distributed across a range of R&D repositories and locations requires significant manual effort. Data virtualization provides data discovery that saves time by automating entity and relationship identification and accelerating data modeling.
- Addressing Data Complexity – Incredible complexity challenges IT’s ability to leverage existing R&D data for new R&D questions. Data virtualization provides powerful data abstraction tools that simplify complex data, transforming it from native structures and syntax into easy-to-understand, reusable views and data services with common, business-friendly semantics.
- Improving Data Availability – With so many technologies, formats and standards, successfully surfacing R&D life cycle data consumes significant IT resources. Data virtualization supports numerous standards-based data access, caching and delivery options that allows IT to flexibly publish all the information that R&D users require.
- Providing Proper Data Controls – Data is a critical asset that must be governed, especially in life science R&D with its myriad compliance requirements. Data virtualization provides data governance that centralizes metadata management, ensures data security and improves data quality to meet these stringent control requirements.
- Environment of Non-Stop Change – Ever changing research results, clinical trial findings, and compliance requirements make frequent change inevitable. Data virtualization provides a loosely-coupled data virtualization layer, rapid development tools, automated impact analysis and extensible architecture to provide the information agility required to keep pace.
Pfizer Finds a Successful Formula
The R&D team at Pfizer was an early adopter of data virtualization with a number of positive business benefits.
Their successes have been recognized in a number of recent articles including:
- Business Intelligence: How To Get Agile
- Pfizer's Michael Linhares Talks About Data Virtualization Software
- Pfizer's Prescription for Data
- SOA to the Rescue, When Drug Discovery Needs Data Fast!
- Rx for Data Woes
- Faster Data Integration Helps Pfizer Speed Decisions on Drugs
Fortunately the path to successful data virtualization adoption is far shorter than the new drug or device development path. But as with R&D, integrating available data is the key.
Here are some great data sources to help you get started:
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Series is a great forum to gain data virtualization insights from top IT analysts.
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Blog helps you stay abreast of new data virtualization developments.
- How to Evaluate a Data Virtualization Platform and How Enterprises Measure Data Virtualization Platform Maturity provide coaching on how to evaluate data virtualization vendors.
- Ten Mistakes to Avoid When Virtualizing Data provides practical implementation guidance.
- And a number of published case studies provide models for data virtualization success.
The (re?)emergence of Microservices was especially prominent in this week’s news. What are they good for? do they make sense for your application? should you take the plunge? and what do Microservices mean for your DevOps and Continuous Delivery efforts? Continue reading for more on Microservices, containers, DevOps culture, and more top news from the past week. As always, stay tuned to all the news coming from@ElectricCloud on DevOps and Continuous Delivery throughout the week and retweet/favo...
Feb. 10, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 198
CIOs and those charged with running IT Operations are challenged to deliver secure, audited, and reliable compute environments for the applications and data for the business. Behind the scenes these tasks are often accomplished by following onerous time-consuming processes and often the management of these environments and processes will be outsourced to multiple IT service providers. In addition, the division of work is often siloed into traditional "towers" that are not well integrated for cro...
Feb. 10, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 478
If we look at slow, traditional IT and jump to the conclusion that just because we found its issues intractable before, that necessarily means we will again, then it’s time for a rethink. As a matter of fact, the world of IT has changed over the last ten years or so. We’ve been experiencing unprecedented innovation across the board – innovation in technology as well as in how people organize and accomplish tasks. Let’s take a look at three differences between today’s modern, digital context...
Feb. 10, 2016 03:30 AM EST Reads: 197
How is your DevOps transformation coming along? How do you measure Agility? Reliability? Efficiency? Quality? Success?! How do you optimize your processes? This morning on #c9d9 we talked about some of the metrics that matter for the different stakeholders throughout the software delivery pipeline. Our panelists shared their best practices.
Feb. 10, 2016 03:15 AM EST
Sensors and effectors of IoT are solving problems in new ways, but small businesses have been slow to join the quantified world. They’ll need information from IoT using applications as varied as the businesses themselves. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Meike, Distinguished Engineer, Director of Technology Innovation at Intuit, showed how IoT manufacturers can use open standards, public APIs and custom apps to enable the Quantified Small Business. He used a Raspberry Pi to connect sensors...
Feb. 10, 2016 03:00 AM EST
The principles behind DevOps are not new - for decades people have been automating system administration and decreasing the time to deploy apps and perform other management tasks. However, only recently did we see the tools and the will necessary to share the benefits and power of automation with a wider circle of people. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Sanders, Chief Technology Officer at CloudBolt Software, explored the latest tools including Puppet, Chef, Docker, and CMPs needed to...
Feb. 10, 2016 03:00 AM EST Reads: 305
Let’s face it, embracing new storage technologies, capabilities and upgrading to new hardware often adds complexity and increases costs. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Seth Oxenhorn, Vice President of Business Development & Alliances at FalconStor, will discuss how a truly heterogeneous software-defined storage approach can add value to legacy platforms and heterogeneous environments. The result reduces complexity, significantly lowers cost, and provides IT organizations with improved effi...
Feb. 10, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 231
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 189
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 196
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 376
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 9, 2016 10:15 PM EST Reads: 232
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 9, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 163
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 9, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 208
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 9, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 599
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 9, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 137
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 9, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 241
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 9, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 358
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 9, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 401
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 9, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 377
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 9, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 412