|By Robert Eve||
|July 5, 2011 05:15 AM EDT||
In the life sciences industry, the latest blockbuster drug or device can mean billions in revenue.
But developing these new offerings often takes ten or more years.
Moving ahead a year or two can be worth hundreds of millions.
The question is how?
Data, Data, Data
Data is the life blood of new product development. Research findings, clinical trial results, manufacturing process validation, and more are information-intensive activities where each new data point can result in a major shift in plans and timing.
To accelerate time to market in this data rich environment, life science R&D teams look to IT.
Unfortunately, IT is not always well equipped to meet this challenge. The problem is not a lack of data. The problem is a lack of data integration agility.
Most life sciences companies have made significant investments in their data. These investments have resulted in data silos and complexity which slow down their ability to respond to new information requests. To overcome these silos, life sciences companies are seeking new ways to integrate their new product development data.
How Data Virtualization Helps
Data virtualization has been adopted by the vast majority of pharmaceutical vendors and has recently seen increasing acceptance at medical device makers. Use of data virtualization to integrate product development data has been the primary use case. The reasons are several:
- Gaining Timely Insight – Up-to-the-minute data is critical throughout every stage in the new product cycle. Data virtualization provides query optimization algorithms and techniques that deliver timely information whenever needed.
- Seeing the Complete Picture – Multiple types of data from multiple sources must be combined to provide researchers, analysts, and managers with the full picture thata effective decision making requires. Data virtualization provides data federation that virtually integrates multiple data sources data in memory, without the cost and overhead of physical data consolidation in data warehouses.
- Controlling Data Proliferation – Identifying and understanding data assets distributed across a range of R&D repositories and locations requires significant manual effort. Data virtualization provides data discovery that saves time by automating entity and relationship identification and accelerating data modeling.
- Addressing Data Complexity – Incredible complexity challenges IT’s ability to leverage existing R&D data for new R&D questions. Data virtualization provides powerful data abstraction tools that simplify complex data, transforming it from native structures and syntax into easy-to-understand, reusable views and data services with common, business-friendly semantics.
- Improving Data Availability – With so many technologies, formats and standards, successfully surfacing R&D life cycle data consumes significant IT resources. Data virtualization supports numerous standards-based data access, caching and delivery options that allows IT to flexibly publish all the information that R&D users require.
- Providing Proper Data Controls – Data is a critical asset that must be governed, especially in life science R&D with its myriad compliance requirements. Data virtualization provides data governance that centralizes metadata management, ensures data security and improves data quality to meet these stringent control requirements.
- Environment of Non-Stop Change – Ever changing research results, clinical trial findings, and compliance requirements make frequent change inevitable. Data virtualization provides a loosely-coupled data virtualization layer, rapid development tools, automated impact analysis and extensible architecture to provide the information agility required to keep pace.
Pfizer Finds a Successful Formula
The R&D team at Pfizer was an early adopter of data virtualization with a number of positive business benefits.
Their successes have been recognized in a number of recent articles including:
- Business Intelligence: How To Get Agile
- Pfizer's Michael Linhares Talks About Data Virtualization Software
- Pfizer's Prescription for Data
- SOA to the Rescue, When Drug Discovery Needs Data Fast!
- Rx for Data Woes
- Faster Data Integration Helps Pfizer Speed Decisions on Drugs
Fortunately the path to successful data virtualization adoption is far shorter than the new drug or device development path. But as with R&D, integrating available data is the key.
Here are some great data sources to help you get started:
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Series is a great forum to gain data virtualization insights from top IT analysts.
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Blog helps you stay abreast of new data virtualization developments.
- How to Evaluate a Data Virtualization Platform and How Enterprises Measure Data Virtualization Platform Maturity provide coaching on how to evaluate data virtualization vendors.
- Ten Mistakes to Avoid When Virtualizing Data provides practical implementation guidance.
- And a number of published case studies provide models for data virtualization success.
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists discussed how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations might...
Feb. 26, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 5,217
As Enterprise business moves from Monoliths to Microservices, adoption and successful implementations of Microservices become more evident. The goal of Microservices is to improve software delivery speed and increase system safety as scale increases. Documenting hurdles and problems for the use of Microservices will help consultants, architects and specialists to avoid repeating the same mistakes and learn how and when to use (or not use) Microservices at the enterprise level. The circumstance w...
Feb. 25, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,265
We call it DevOps but much of the time there’s a lot more discussion about the needs and concerns of developers than there is about other groups. There’s a focus on improved and less isolated developer workflows. There are many discussions around collaboration, continuous integration and delivery, issue tracking, source code control, code review, IDEs, and xPaaS – and all the tools that enable those things. Changes in developer practices may come up – such as developers taking ownership of code ...
Feb. 25, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 2,814
The rise of containers and microservices has skyrocketed the rate at which new applications are moved into production environments today. While developers have been deploying containers to speed up the development processes for some time, there still remain challenges with running microservices efficiently. Most existing IT monitoring tools don’t actually maintain visibility into the containers that make up microservices. As those container applications move into production, some IT operations t...
Feb. 25, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,314
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Feb. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,728
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 25, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,411
You often hear the two titles of "DevOps" and "Immutable Infrastructure" used independently. In his session at DevOps Summit, John Willis, Technical Evangelist for Docker, covered the union between the two topics and why this is important. He provided an overview of Immutable Infrastructure then showed how an Immutable Continuous Delivery pipeline can be applied as a best practice for "DevOps." He ended the session with some interesting case study examples.
Feb. 25, 2017 06:00 PM EST Reads: 4,385
When you focus on a journey from up-close, you look at your own technical and cultural history and how you changed it for the benefit of the customer. This was our starting point: too many integration issues, 13 SWP days and very long cycles. It was evident that in this fast-paced industry we could no longer afford this reality. We needed something that would take us beyond reducing the development lifecycles, CI and Agile methodologies. We made a fundamental difference, even changed our culture...
Feb. 25, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 2,940
Updating DevOps to the latest production data slows down your development cycle. Probably it is due to slow, inefficient conventional storage and associated copy data management practices. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in Product and Solution at Tintri, will talk about DevOps and cloud-focused storage to update hundreds of child VMs (different flavors) with updates from a master VM in minutes, saving hours or even days in each development cycle. He will also...
Feb. 25, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,688
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 25, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 2,505
TechTarget storage websites are the best online information resource for news, tips and expert advice for the storage, backup and disaster recovery markets. By creating abundant, high-quality editorial content across more than 140 highly targeted technology-specific websites, TechTarget attracts and nurtures communities of technology buyers researching their companies' information technology needs. By understanding these buyers' content consumption behaviors, TechTarget creates the purchase inte...
Feb. 25, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,784
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Feb. 25, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 4,069
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Feb. 25, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,932
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Feb. 25, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 5,930
DevOps and microservices are permeating software engineering teams broadly, whether these teams are in pure software shops but happen to run a business, such Uber and Airbnb, or in companies that rely heavily on software to run more traditional business, such as financial firms or high-end manufacturers. Microservices and DevOps have created software development and therefore business speed and agility benefits, but they have also created problems; specifically, they have created software securi...
Feb. 25, 2017 11:00 AM EST Reads: 3,978
This week's news brings us further reminders that if you're betting on cloud, you're headed in the right direction. The cloud is growing seven times faster than the rest of IT, according to IDC, with a 25% spending increase just from 2016 to 2017. SaaS still leads the pack, with an estimated two-thirds of public cloud spending going that way. Large enterprises, with more than 1,000 employees, are predicted to account for more than half of cloud spending and have the fastest annual growth rate.
Feb. 25, 2017 10:15 AM EST Reads: 993
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions with...
Feb. 25, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 7,813
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann and Aruna Ravichandran have been named Co-Chairs of @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 25, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 2,266
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you...
Feb. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 2,251
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 5,877