|By Robert Eve||
|July 5, 2011 05:15 AM EDT||
In the life sciences industry, the latest blockbuster drug or device can mean billions in revenue.
But developing these new offerings often takes ten or more years.
Moving ahead a year or two can be worth hundreds of millions.
The question is how?
Data, Data, Data
Data is the life blood of new product development. Research findings, clinical trial results, manufacturing process validation, and more are information-intensive activities where each new data point can result in a major shift in plans and timing.
To accelerate time to market in this data rich environment, life science R&D teams look to IT.
Unfortunately, IT is not always well equipped to meet this challenge. The problem is not a lack of data. The problem is a lack of data integration agility.
Most life sciences companies have made significant investments in their data. These investments have resulted in data silos and complexity which slow down their ability to respond to new information requests. To overcome these silos, life sciences companies are seeking new ways to integrate their new product development data.
How Data Virtualization Helps
Data virtualization has been adopted by the vast majority of pharmaceutical vendors and has recently seen increasing acceptance at medical device makers. Use of data virtualization to integrate product development data has been the primary use case. The reasons are several:
- Gaining Timely Insight – Up-to-the-minute data is critical throughout every stage in the new product cycle. Data virtualization provides query optimization algorithms and techniques that deliver timely information whenever needed.
- Seeing the Complete Picture – Multiple types of data from multiple sources must be combined to provide researchers, analysts, and managers with the full picture thata effective decision making requires. Data virtualization provides data federation that virtually integrates multiple data sources data in memory, without the cost and overhead of physical data consolidation in data warehouses.
- Controlling Data Proliferation – Identifying and understanding data assets distributed across a range of R&D repositories and locations requires significant manual effort. Data virtualization provides data discovery that saves time by automating entity and relationship identification and accelerating data modeling.
- Addressing Data Complexity – Incredible complexity challenges IT’s ability to leverage existing R&D data for new R&D questions. Data virtualization provides powerful data abstraction tools that simplify complex data, transforming it from native structures and syntax into easy-to-understand, reusable views and data services with common, business-friendly semantics.
- Improving Data Availability – With so many technologies, formats and standards, successfully surfacing R&D life cycle data consumes significant IT resources. Data virtualization supports numerous standards-based data access, caching and delivery options that allows IT to flexibly publish all the information that R&D users require.
- Providing Proper Data Controls – Data is a critical asset that must be governed, especially in life science R&D with its myriad compliance requirements. Data virtualization provides data governance that centralizes metadata management, ensures data security and improves data quality to meet these stringent control requirements.
- Environment of Non-Stop Change – Ever changing research results, clinical trial findings, and compliance requirements make frequent change inevitable. Data virtualization provides a loosely-coupled data virtualization layer, rapid development tools, automated impact analysis and extensible architecture to provide the information agility required to keep pace.
Pfizer Finds a Successful Formula
The R&D team at Pfizer was an early adopter of data virtualization with a number of positive business benefits.
Their successes have been recognized in a number of recent articles including:
- Business Intelligence: How To Get Agile
- Pfizer's Michael Linhares Talks About Data Virtualization Software
- Pfizer's Prescription for Data
- SOA to the Rescue, When Drug Discovery Needs Data Fast!
- Rx for Data Woes
- Faster Data Integration Helps Pfizer Speed Decisions on Drugs
Fortunately the path to successful data virtualization adoption is far shorter than the new drug or device development path. But as with R&D, integrating available data is the key.
Here are some great data sources to help you get started:
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Series is a great forum to gain data virtualization insights from top IT analysts.
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Blog helps you stay abreast of new data virtualization developments.
- How to Evaluate a Data Virtualization Platform and How Enterprises Measure Data Virtualization Platform Maturity provide coaching on how to evaluate data virtualization vendors.
- Ten Mistakes to Avoid When Virtualizing Data provides practical implementation guidance.
- And a number of published case studies provide models for data virtualization success.
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 26, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 8,946
Cloud promises the agility required by today’s digital businesses. As organizations adopt cloud based infrastructures and services, their IT resources become increasingly dynamic and hybrid in nature. Managing these require modern IT operations and tools. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Raj Sundaram, Senior Principal Product Manager at CA Technologies, will discuss how to modernize your IT operations in order to proactively manage your hybrid cloud and IT environments. He will be sharing be...
Apr. 26, 2017 09:26 AM EDT Reads: 320
This recent research on cloud computing from the Register delves a little deeper than many of the "We're all adopting cloud!" surveys we've seen. They found that meaningful cloud adoption and the idea of the cloud-first enterprise are still not reality for many businesses. The Register's stats also show a more gradual cloud deployment trend over the past five years, not any sort of explosion. One important takeaway is that coherence across internal and external clouds is essential for IT right n...
Apr. 26, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,689
Enterprise architects are increasingly adopting multi-cloud strategies as they seek to utilize existing data center assets, leverage the advantages of cloud computing and avoid cloud vendor lock-in. This requires a globally aware traffic management strategy that can monitor infrastructure health across data centers and end-user experience globally, while responding to control changes and system specification at the speed of today’s DevOps teams. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Josh Gray, Chie...
Apr. 26, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,257
To more closely examine the variety of ways in which IT departments around the world are integrating cloud services, and the effect hybrid IT has had on their organizations and IT job roles, SolarWinds recently released the SolarWinds IT Trends Report 2017: Portrait of a Hybrid Organization. This annual study consists of survey-based research that explores significant trends, developments, and movements related to and directly affecting IT and IT professionals.
Apr. 26, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,675
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 26, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,503
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Apr. 25, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 7,175
Is your application too difficult to manage? Do changes take dozens of developers hundreds of hours to execute, and frequently result in downtime across all your site’s functions? It sounds like you have a monolith! A monolith is one of the three main software architectures that define most applications. Whether you’ve intentionally set out to create a monolith or not, it’s worth at least weighing the pros and cons of the different architectural approaches and deciding which one makes the most s...
Apr. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,771
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 25, 2017 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,570
In large enterprises, environment provisioning and server provisioning account for a significant portion of the operations team's time. This often leaves users frustrated while they wait for these services. For instance, server provisioning can take several days and sometimes even weeks. At the same time, digital transformation means the need for server and environment provisioning is constantly growing. Organizations are adopting agile methodologies and software teams are increasing the speed ...
Apr. 25, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,355
Back in February of 2017, Andrew Clay Schafer of Pivotal tweeted the following: “seriously tho, the whole software industry is stuck on deployment when we desperately need architecture and telemetry.” Intrigue in a 140 characters. For me, I hear Andrew saying, “we’re jumping to step 5 before we’ve successfully completed steps 1-4.”
Apr. 25, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,736
In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Scott Davis, CTO of Embotics, will discuss how automation can provide the dynamic management required to cost-effectively deliver microservices and container solutions at scale. He will discuss how flexible automation is the key to effectively bridging and seamlessly coordinating both IT and developer needs for component orchestration across disparate clouds – an increasingly important requirement at today’s multi-cloud enterprise.
Apr. 25, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,335
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 8,894
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,929
Software as a service (SaaS), one of the earliest and most successful cloud services, has reached mainstream status. According to Cisco, by 2019 more than four-fifths (83 percent) of all data center traffic will be based in the cloud, up from 65 percent today. The majority of this traffic will be applications. Businesses of all sizes are adopting a variety of SaaS-based services – everything from collaboration tools to mission-critical commerce-oriented applications. The rise in SaaS usage has m...
Apr. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,856
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, drew upon his own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He also discussed the implementation of microservices in data and application integrat...
Apr. 22, 2017 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 6,212
We'd all like to fulfill that "find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" cliché. But in reality, every job (even if it's our dream job) comes with its downsides. For you, the constant fight against shadow IT might get on your last nerves. For your developer coworkers, infrastructure management is the roadblock that stands in the way of focusing on coding. As you watch more and more applications and processes move to the cloud, technology is coming to developers' rescue-most r...
Apr. 22, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,091
2016 has been an amazing year for Docker and the container industry. We had 3 major releases of Docker engine this year , and tremendous increase in usage. The community has been following along and contributing amazing Docker resources to help you learn and get hands-on experience. Here’s some of the top read and viewed content for the year. Of course releases are always really popular, particularly when they fit requests we had from the community.
Apr. 22, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,590
Even for the most seasoned IT pros, the cloud is complicated. It can be difficult just to wrap your head around the many terms and acronyms that make up the cloud dictionary-not to mention actually mastering the technology. Unfortunately, complicated cloud terms are often combined to the point that their meanings are lost in a sea of conflicting opinions. Two terms that are used interchangeably (but shouldn't be) are hybrid cloud and multicloud. If you want to be the cloud expert your company ne...
Apr. 21, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,237
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 18, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,442