Modern organizations face great challenges as they embrace innovation and integrate new tools and services. They begin to mature and move away from the complacency of maintaining traditional technologies and systems that only solve individual, siloed problems and work “well enough.” In order to build...
|By Nandakumar Balasubramaniyan||
|November 23, 2010 10:09 AM EST||
Executing Enterprise Architecture is linked with the people who perform the task. The quality of the output is directly proportional to the quality of people who are involved irrespective of the framework that is being used. If an organization is setting its course for transformation, Alignment or Innovation agenda, it is very important to understand and acknowledge the qualities of people involved in defining the architecture roadmap.
To provide a point of view, I can go ahead and reflect on my experiences or I can visit again one of the frameworks for reference points. I have chosen to try a different approach. I am trying to evaluate the qualities of Enterprise Architecture people by taking reference from ancient Tamil Classic - Tirukural written by Thiruvalluvar. Thiruvalluvar has written 10 couplets specifically for Ministers (in ancient times) out of 1330 couplets. These identifies the qualities of ministers in those days who steer the King in a specific direction. Please find my reflection based on that as described below:
- Execution Qualities: EA must have the ability to evaluate the right means (transitional architectures), time and mode for any type of significant business engagement. They bring the value not in documenting the solution or outcomes but they bring the value in eliciting and reflecting on these outcomes and then providing a recommendation that is relevant by considering various parameters - Time, Right Means and Mode of execution.
- Knowledge: EA must demonstrate immense knowledge, firmness and belief during the challenging times of Business Change. This is one of the fundamental factors that differentiates EAs from the rest of the organisation because they do not get afraid of the change and in essence they should embrace being a Change Catalyst. Hence, their focus is not only on defining the change agenda (IT, of course) but also has to demonstrate the ability to deal and interact with the difficult parts of the organisation to ensure that they are able to see the value of this change. Too often, lack of this skill may lead to the Business / IT silo and may further widen the gap. So it is important to demonstrate the articulative skills augumented with the knowledge in acting as a Change Catalyst.
- Uncertainty: EA must acknowledge that there are people who will support their initiatives, there are people who is against their initiatives because you are attempting to change the status quo which will challenge their core identity, and people who are afraid of change will also leave. In these cases, EA must take the Responsibility (Note the big R - leaving it for someone to fix doesn't help. We need to own it) to ensure that the journey is on course. In order to do that, EA must consistently analyse, evaluate, reflect and communicate the vision and execution agenda repeatedly to the teams.
- Engaging Consulting Firms: Organisation embarking on Change Agenda or Transformation Agenda involving IT in some shape or form must have EA who demonstrates his ability and execution talent in the event of crisis (which may become a regular affair). Additionally as we can see, Organisations may involve external consulting firms in which case the EA should assume the ability to distill and bring out the best of consultants during the execution journey. This is to ensure that Organisation do not lose the focus on its change agenda.
- Get Real: Finally, it is not relevant or important how well we have used a specific framework to deliver the architecture unless the organisation is stepped up to adapt the recommendations. This is where EA need to demonstrate their acumen, even when people at all levels ranging from middle management to CXOs are not ready to listen, to emphasize the facts and truth that is critical for the Organisation's change agenda. This involves communcation through different ways and means. Note that the success of the architecture is in its execution or realisation and not in its documented format.
I have given a point of view based on my experience and considering the relevant references to provide a different dimension to the architecture practice steering away from frameworks. While the framework attempt to bring the structure to our thought process the qualities described here are essential and fundamental in order to carry out the Architecture profession deligently.
Thanks for reading...!
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,439
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,610
Cloud Expo 2016 New York at the Javits Center New York was characterized by increased attendance and a new focus on operations. These were both encouraging signs for all involved in Cloud Computing and all that it touches. As Conference Chair, I work with the Cloud Expo team to structure three keynotes, numerous general sessions, and more than 150 breakout sessions along 10 tracks. Our job is to balance the state of enterprise IT today with the trends that will be commonplace tomorrow. Mobile...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,429
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 629
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,352
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,966
The following fictional case study is a composite of actual horror stories I’ve heard over the years. Unfortunately, this scenario often occurs when in-house integration teams take on the complexities of DevOps and ALM integration with an enterprise service bus (ESB) or custom integration. It is written from the perspective of an enterprise architect tasked with leading an organization’s effort to adopt Agile to become more competitive. The company has turned to Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) as ...
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 785
If you are within a stones throw of the DevOps marketplace you have undoubtably noticed the growing trend in Microservices. Whether you have been staying up to date with the latest articles and blogs or you just read the definition for the first time, these 5 Microservices Resources You Need In Your Life will guide you through the ins and outs of Microservices in today’s world.
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,086
[session] Architecting for the Cloud By @RagsS | @CloudExpo @IBMBluemix #Cloud #Docker #Microservices
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 796
A company’s collection of online systems is like a delicate ecosystem – all components must integrate with and complement each other, and one single malfunction in any of them can bring the entire system to a screeching halt. That’s why, when monitoring and analyzing the health of your online systems, you need a broad arsenal of different tools for your different needs. In addition to a wide-angle lens that provides a snapshot of the overall health of your system, you must also have precise, ...
Aug. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,585
Sharding has become a popular means of achieving scalability in application architectures in which read/write data separation is not only possible, but desirable to achieve new heights of concurrency. The premise is that by splitting up read and write duties, it is possible to get better overall performance at the cost of a slight delay in consistency. That is, it takes a bit of time to replicate changes initiated by a "write" to the read-only master database. It's eventually consistent, and it'...
Aug. 27, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,145
The burgeoning trends around DevOps are translating into new types of IT infrastructure that both developers and operators can take advantage of. The next BriefingsDirect Voice of the Customer thought leadership discussion focuses on the burgeoning trends around DevOps and how that’s translating into new types of IT infrastructure that both developers and operators can take advantage of.
Aug. 27, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,530
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,742
This digest provides an overview of good resources that are well worth reading. We’ll be updating this page as new content becomes available, so I suggest you bookmark it. Also, expect more digests to come on different topics that make all of our IT-hearts go boom!
Aug. 27, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,757
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 27, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,022
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,306
Thomas Bitman of Gartner wrote a blog post last year about why OpenStack projects fail. In that article, he outlined three particular metrics which together cause 60% of OpenStack projects to fall short of expectations: Wrong people (31% of failures): a successful cloud needs commitment both from the operations team as well as from "anchor" tenants. Wrong processes (19% of failures): a successful cloud automates across silos in the software development lifecycle, not just within silos.
Aug. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,089
Aug. 26, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,851
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 26, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,867